Christmas Gifts to Make: 4 Moms

This week the four moms are talking Christmas and sharing ideas for gifts and crafts.  Be sure to link up your creative ideas at the bottom of this post and visit Deputy Headmistress, Connie and KimC.

Choosing and making Christmas gifts is one of the highlights of the holidays for our children.  The older ones often start during the summer and about this time of year I start scrambling for ideas for the younger ones.

We’ve made a wide assortment and variety of gifts over the years from knitted and crocheted items to carved wooden villages, edible treats and more.  I’m going to share a sampling of our past ideas as well as some that we hope to do in the future and include links to online directions.

I’ve been ordered not to reveal anything that is being created this year, which means that pictures may be a little scarce.

Gifts we’ve made:

• Beaded bobby pins – These bobby pins are inexpensive to make and are sweet to clip to a card or gift tag to add a personal touch to a larger gift.
  • Pillow cases and more pillow cases – perfect for budding seamstresses and super fun to embroider or dress up in other creative ways
  • Gifts in a jar – These are great for kids, both big and little, to make and give.
  • Christmas ornaments from dominos – Another quick easy gift.  We used these as our guest gifts (during the holiday season we give a small gift to each of the visitors that we have in or home) last year.
  • Monogrammed burlap pillows
  • Cinnamon and applesauce Christmas ornaments – These have always turned out beautifully for us and have lasted for years.
  • Salt dough ornaments – These are best given to grandparents (or other relatives).
  • Ravelry has a lovely assortment of free (and pay for) patterns for nearly every imaginable knitted or crocheted gift.
  • Truffles – Scrumptious and lovely when you choose pretty packaging.  This isn’t the exact recipe we used,  Amber borrowed a book from the library and made an assortment of flavors and combinations for each recipient.
  • Marshmallow shooters –  Like Nerf guns?  You’ll love these easy to make marshmallow guns.

Gifts that we hope to make:

• Fish-in-a-bag soaps – I saw these years ago and they are still at the top of my list.  Am I strange or are these just amazingly cute?!
  • Easy-to-sew hooded towels – I’m thinking of making these in cute colors and pairing them with the soaps.  More ways to personalize these towels.
  • Picture of the month club – This is not what I originally thought.  I got the idea from one of my Facebook readers  (thank you Christine) and am planning on doing it this year.   For Christmas you give the gift recipient a way to display the artwork that they will receive over the course of the year.  My reader suggested a cute wooden plaque with a clothes pin to pin up the pictures.  I’m thinking a large frame.  Then each month the gift giver creates a drawing or painting and sends it to the recipient.  I think this is particularly well suited to those relatives who don’t live close enough to enjoy frequent creative offerings.
  • Cute Bags
  • Scrabble Tile Pendant

I have a few tutorials in the works with more Christmas gift ideas.  Feel free to subscribe via email so you don’t miss them.

Now it’s your turn to share your  Christmas gifts and/or crafts posts.  Please link directly to your gift/craft post (not to your homepage) and include a link back to at least one of the 4 Moms craft post so that your readers can come read all the ideas.

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear
right here!

This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

Share on Facebook5Pin on Pinterest3Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

18 Responses to Christmas Gifts to Make: 4 Moms
  1. chantelle
    November 4, 2010 | 7:38 am

I looovvvveeee the fish-in-a-bag soaps!! Thank you! I must make these at once! 🙂

2. Cheryl @ Treasures from a Shoebox
    November 4, 2010 | 8:29 am

Thanks for all the great ideas! We are looking forward to trying some of these. This is my first year blogging and I didn’t have any craft tutorials (or pictures) to use, so I posted a Mega Family Card tutorial that could be made into a Mega Family Christmas card. Thanks for hosting 🙂

That is a great idea. I find I’m frequently urging my little ones to write smaller when they are signing a card. No worries with those cards, though.

3. Stephanie H
    November 4, 2010 | 1:37 pm

So my likn is not a craft per say but a fun idea to repurpose a pair of capri’s to a skirt! I love the burlap pillow idea!

Those are cute and it would be an inexpensive, simple way to allow your girls to match each other.

4. Kylee
    November 4, 2010 | 4:00 pm

My mom made my sisters and I hooded-towels when we were little. We all had our own colors and LOVED them. Now that they’re over 15 years old and a little bit worse for the wear she told me she’s going to make new ones for the little girls for this Christmas.
    We have definitely gotten our use out of them!

So now you’ve convinced me that maybe I should do this for our kiddos. Hmm, if I give everyone their own color, maybe I would not have to wash the towels after every single use. Fun gift + less laundry = 🙂

5. Christine
    November 5, 2010 | 9:39 am

I’m glad you liked my Art of the Month Club idea! I posted a blog post about it this morning with a photo if you want to see what mine looked like. I made each of the 4 different, to go with each grandparent’s style. 🙂

Thank you Christine. I added a link to your post in my post. I LOVE your idea, thanks for sharing!

6. Becky
    November 6, 2010 | 2:27 am

I love fish in a bag, that is the best kind of pet 🙂 My grandma would love the art of the month, great idea!

7. Kirsta
    November 7, 2010 | 12:21 am

I love craft ideas for gifts. This year I’m dying T-shirts with red dirt (from where I live) and stenciling “Thank You, Mud” on them to give with one of our favorite children’s CD’s by Joe McDermott, Everywhere You Go; which has a fabulous song about mud on it.

8. Gayle White
    November 8, 2010 | 1:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your ideas with links/directions. You’ve really helped me out!

9. Kathy
    November 8, 2010 | 6:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the ideas! We are going to use the picture of the month gift for great grandparents!

10. What fun Christmas gift ideas – great craft activities for grandparents and their grandchildren. I’ll have to give these a try with my grandkids. Thank you.

11. Marshmallow Gun Tutorial | Raising Olives
    November 9, 2010 | 11:16 pm

[…] For more gift ideas read Christmas Gifts to Make. […]

12. cy
    November 10, 2010 | 6:00 am

Hand-made Christmas gifts are really special as it comes from the heart. They are not expensive and very thoughtful, like the Monogrammed Burlap Pillows. Well done.
    Are they for sale?

13. Debbie
    November 21, 2010 | 9:38 am

Thanks for the super ideas! I was really inspired by the Gifts In a Jar. Here’s my creation – so easy and so effective. http://www.spatula.co.za/cranberry-crunchie-edible-gift-kit/

14. Brieana
    December 7, 2010 | 2:44 pm

I LOVE those monogrammed pillows – too late for this year but we’ll be doing them next year for sure!

One note on the applesauce ornaments – we tried them using the recipe you linked to. The dough was really wet, even after adding almost 2 cups of flour, and we ended up throwing the whole thing out. Turns out you can’t use homemade applesauce (or if you do, you have to strain it in a cheesecloth to get rid of excess water first). Just a note in case anyone else tries it!

Thanks for the recipe, though! 🙂