Marshmallow Gun Tutorial

These marshmallow guns are fun, inexpensive and simple gifts to make.  They are ideal gifts  for kids and husbands of all ages.  Rather than spending big money on Nerf guns, just get yourself over to the hardware store, shell out a few bucks and spend a quiet evening making several of these fun marshmallow shooters.

Be sure to make these for all of your children and your husband as well.  Oh,  and you should have one for self-defense, seriously.  Otherwise you may have to resort to eating the ammo, bleh.

Supplies:

• 1/2″ PVC pipe (It comes in 10 ft. lengths which is enough to make several guns.
  • 2  – PVC t-joints for 1/2″ pipe
  • 2 – PVC elbow joints for 1/2″ pipe
  • 2 – PVC end caps for 1/2″ pipe

Instructions:

• Use a hack saw (or a PVC pipe cutter) to cut the PVC pipe into the following lengths (lengths do not need to be exact, this is more art than science): 1 – 7 inch length for gun barrel, 1 – 1  inch length and 5 – 3 inch lengths.
  • Use a piece of sandpaper to smooth down each of your cuts.
  • Assemble gun according to the photo below

Place a mini-marshmallow in the 3 inch piece at the top of the gun (not into the 7 inch barrel) and place your mouth over that same 3 inch piece and blow.  Have fun and move quickly.

For more gift ideas read Christmas Gifts to Make.

Fun homemade gifts work for me.  You may read more WFMW posts at We Are THAT Family.

Share on Facebook107Pin on Pinterest1,084Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

28 Responses to Marshmallow Gun Tutorial
  1. Kimarie @ The Cardamom's Pod
    November 9, 2010 | 11:32 pm

Awesome – so easy to follow from the picture. We have tons of PVC laying around. This is so up our alley! Have you ever made a potato cannon? We want to and we have the space to shoot it, too, heh heh. ;-)

2. Christine
    November 9, 2010 | 11:56 pm

Do you glue it together? What kind of glue?

We haven’t glued our guns together and it’s worked fine for us.

3. Ariana
    November 10, 2010 | 12:28 am

That’s so dang cool! I would’ve loved one of those as a kid!

It’s not too late, they are fun even if you’re an adult.

4. Megan
    November 10, 2010 | 12:41 am

This is a great idea!! Fun!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial:)

5. Shannon H.
    November 10, 2010 | 8:09 am

How fun! My husband’s birthday is tomorrow; I’m going to attempt to put one of these together for him to play with the kids. (He’s just a big kid, you know.) Thanks for sharing!

Oh, does the piece that goes up to your mouth have to be sanded or smoothed out at all?

6. Shannon H.
    November 10, 2010 | 8:11 am

Oh, sorry- I just saw the answer to my question when I re-read the post… I haven’t finished my coffee yet! ;)

7. Tracy
    November 10, 2010 | 9:26 am

Ok-I do not want to be a debbie downer, bc I really want to make these with my kids, but! I am worried about them accidentaly inhaling the marshmellow instead of blowing it out. It’s hard to tell if that could happen just looking at the design. Can anyone tell me if that should be a concern, or am I being overanxious?

Dianne Andrews Reply:

We’ve had ours for about a year and noone has inhaled a marshmallow yet – that I remember. Our youngest shooter is my daughter who was 3 last summer.

8. Dianne Andrews
    November 10, 2010 | 10:22 am

We made those last summer at our Foster Care picnic. The kids loooved them! And, as soon as we got home, my hubby made a really long barreled one, hooked it up to his air compressor and started shooting as well. :)

9. Jennifer Dewing
    November 10, 2010 | 3:46 pm

We found this idea recently and my husband is going wild over this! He’s looking up directions for an automatic, a semi-automatic, a double barrel, a rife…this is very unusual for him. :0) And the children are loving it, too! We bought enough PVC to make 10 more shooters for Thanksgiving when our family is coming over for the meal (and this way, the 9 children have something to do!)

One thing that makes these shooters sturdier is making them out of Schedule 40 PVC. It’s a thicker walled pipe and I think it works better than the regular PVC or CPVC.

10. Sarah
    November 10, 2010 | 3:50 pm

This is brilliant! My husband would so love to get one of these for a gift…especially if I agreed to have a marshmallow war with him. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

11. Amy
    November 10, 2010 | 6:11 pm

That’s such a cool idea! Definately going to do this. Ooh! I totally have a christmas present idea now for my sister and my two friends! :D Can you spray paint the guns do you know? (except for the bit you blow on):o This is going to be a really fun Christmas.. :D

12. keeslermom
    November 10, 2010 | 8:25 pm

I made these with my homeschool co-op class, and then we had a battle. It look like it snowed when we were done. A great time was had by all, and the lawn got fertilized too!

13. Grateful for Grace
    November 10, 2010 | 9:00 pm

We made these one year for Thanksgiving when a bunch of family was coming to visit. We all had a BLAST having marshmallow wars, marshmallow relays and just attacking in general. It was hilarious.

14. Tracey
    November 10, 2010 | 10:24 pm

I just may have to make this for our gang!

15. Candi
    November 12, 2010 | 11:19 pm

We are so making these!! Thanks! This is going to make a super cool homemade Christmas gift. :)

16. Cheryl @ Treasures from a Shoebox
    November 13, 2010 | 9:58 am

We MUST make these for our boys (and Daddy!). Thanks!

17. Rachel
    November 15, 2010 | 4:08 pm

My son would love this – if he were just a touch older! This looks like a ton of fun!

18. Melanie
    December 11, 2010 | 2:21 am

Ta. Da. Just made a bunch for the cousins to have on Christmas Eve…cuz nothing says family love like a marshmallow war! I can’t wait! We’re SO excited…actually our pug is the most excited. He quickly figured out that the ammo was a treat for him.

19. Robin
    December 13, 2010 | 8:11 am

Hi!
    We thought this was an awesome idea to make for our grandchildren. My husband bought a length of 1/2 inch pvc pipe and made 5 of these guns. When I got home we tried them out but the mini marshmallows didn’t fit in the pipe. When we force them in they get stuck. What did we do wrong? The 1/2 inch pipe seems too narrow . . .

Hmm. I’m not sure, sorry.

Our 11 year old son is making these this Christmas from these instructions, I’ll let you know if we have any problems.

Katie Reply:

I just watched a how to video on youtube here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SOyVOHudO8

He says to file the edges before fitting it together. Did you do that? Otherwise there may be rough edges blocking the passageway.

Just a thought…

andrew Reply:

Same with me. I think it is the brand of marshmallow or the PVC pipe itself. I will be building another barrel from 3/4 inch pipe so it can fit any brand.

20. allison
    December 29, 2010 | 8:40 pm

I must respond with a glowing report! We made six of these for christmas gifts. It started out as 1 for daddy, and the list quickly lengthened when we tested it out and saw how much fun it was. They were by far the biggest hit out of all the christmas gifts for both friends and family!

21. Morgan Crumm
    May 2, 2013 | 2:25 pm

These are so much fun! When my husband and I were dating, a friend made them for us for Christmas. We thought they were so awesome, we put a simplified version under each seat at our wedding and had guests shoot marshmallows instead of throwing rice or blowing bubbles when we made our getaway.

22. Nikki
    May 24, 2014 | 6:06 pm

Do they ever get sticky inside? Or moldy? If so, how do you clean them?