Reading the Bible in 2011: Are You In?

Each year all readers in our family read through the entire Bible.  It may be one of the most important things that we do.  After all if our kids excel at calculus, read Latin fluently and are able to change the course of history with their oratory skills but do not know what God says, then we have failed miserably in their education.

After reading through the Bible in 90 Days at the beginning of this yearMomsToolbox with my husband and 4 oldest children (ages 9-13) and much prayer and consideration about our priorities, we decided to do it again in 2011 or rather we’ve decided to do it three more times this year.

Here is our plan:

• January- March – Read through the Bible using this reading plan (I’m planning on reading it aloud to those who are unable to read it themselves. )
  • April – Memorization contest **(see below)
  • May-July – Read through the Bible again (We have several beginning readers that we want to read through the New Testament during these months.)
  • August – Focus on memorization
  • September-November – Read through the Bible for the last time in 2010
  • December – Focus on memorization

**During the month of April we’re going to have a family Bible memorization contest.   It will probably function as it has in the past when we’ve offered a  gift certificate to Vision Forum for the child who memorized the most verses in a two week period.  We have offered one prize for the children who are able to read and another prize for those who aren’t yet fluent readers.  The only difference is that we’ll have a full month to memorize.  (Who am I kidding?  Mark and I don’t have a shot at winning, our kids memorize much more quickly than we do.)

We’re not setting a goal for what we hope to memorize until after April because we would probably set it too low.  When we’ve done memorization contests in the past, the children have memorized hundreds of verses.  So the plan is to spend the month of April allowing the children to see how much they are able to memorize and then to set goals for August and December using that information.

Here are a few practical things that helped us read through the Bible in 90 days last year:

• Commit.  Determine that you will do this and then do it.  What do you have to accomplish that’s more important than reading God’s revealed will for your life?
  • Schedule a time to read everyday.  We scheduled an hour first thing every morning for Bible reading with some extra time each afternoon to finish up.  Having more than an hour scheduled was very beneficial.
  • Write dates on your schedule.  It’s much easier to keep track of  where you are if you’ve written the date beside each assignment on your schedule.
  • Set aside a time each week to catch up.  Mark and the children did not have the problem with this that I had but there were several points last year that I fell behind on my reading and needed to spend a couple hours on Sunday afternoon to catch up.
  • Read with a buddy.  Since 6 people in our home who were working toward the same goal it made keeping up much easier.  Since 4 of those people were my children it made falling far behind or quitting a non-option.

Anyone with us on reading through the Bible at least once this year?

I’m not planning on posting regularly about our progress (if you’re curious feel free to ask ;) ),  but if you’d like to read through the Bible in 90 Days with a group beginning on Jan. 3, consider signing up at  Mom’s Toolbox.

Share on Facebook36Pin on Pinterest4Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

24 Responses to Reading the Bible in 2011: Are You In?
  1. Tristan
    December 31, 2010 | 7:52 am

I’m joining the 90 day challenge next week (my first time joining, though I’ve read through the Bible before). And you know I’m curious why you’re NOT going to post regularly about your progress, so do tell!

Hi Tristan,

It is difficult enough for me to find the time to post regularly period, so it’s merely a time commitment issue. :)

Tristan Reply:

I understand that! It seems I blog in bits and pieces now that baby Caleb is here.

2. Stacy
    December 31, 2010 | 8:55 am

Our plan is to read through the Bible this year using our chronological Bibles! Looking forward to it!

3. Samantha
    December 31, 2010 | 10:02 am

I am also reading again in January. I plan to read it in 90 days at least one more session after that, and focus on a slower pace/focused study the rest of the year. I like your plan to have a contest!

4. Nicki
    December 31, 2010 | 11:39 am

I am reading through the Bible for the first time start Monday! I am excited and nervous. I am wondering what would your expectations be for an 8 year-old girl? I want her to experience this, but have trouble figuring out how much I can expect from her. I’d be interested in hearing what your opinion would be!
    Thanks, Nicki

It would depend on her reading level. Our 9 year old daughter read through with us last year and did fine, but she is a proficient reader.

Currently our 8 year old son is doing it with us, but he is a struggling reader and it has taken him over 2 hours to complete the reading for the first 2 days and he’s a bit behind. I’m guessing that we will modify the schedule for him and have him complete the readings at a slower pace.

Andrea Reply:

Hi! I found out about B90 through this post, signed up and am in a group. :-) I’m reading thru with my 2 oldest daughters, 12 & 10 who are proficient readers. Our 8yo son is also a struggling reader so this is what we’re doing: He is reading 2 stories a day out loud to our 3 youngest children from the Hurlbut’s Story of the Bible so they can go from Genesis thru’ Revelation with us in the 90 day period in a format which will give them an overview of the Bible without being too overwhelming for the age 2, 4, 6 listeners and the 8yo reading aloud. Additionally, I have the Bible on audio cd and I play the day’s chapters so they listen during quiet time and the rest of us are getting some auditory review of what we’ve already read. This way he’s enjoying being a part of what we’re doing but he’s not feeling frustrated by the quantity of reading. Outside of that we try to give all of our readers opportunities to read the Bible out loud during family devotions so they get practice reading/ studying God’s word. At least with the audio our 8yo son can keep up with our discussions of the text.

Great suggestions Andrea. Thank you!

5. Annie @ Beauty In The Surrender
    December 31, 2010 | 2:57 pm

I too will be joining in on the challenge! We have already started in Genesis this week with a lesson plan that includes coloring pages, scripture memorization and acting out parts of Scripture. I am looking forward to seeing how everyone progresses and what they glean from another go-round! ☺

6. Kim
    December 31, 2010 | 3:18 pm

I am joining in as well and becoming closer to God is one of my resolutions this year!

7. Twisted Cinderella
    December 31, 2010 | 4:32 pm

A great goal!

Happy New Years! Here’s to a fabulous new year!

8. Kori Ireland
    December 31, 2010 | 5:10 pm

I already signed up for the Bible in 90 Days and am so excited! Your kids scripture memorization information made me wonder – are you familiar with the National Bible Bee? My kids did it last summer and we will do it again this year. They loved it and we all learned tons. http://www.biblebee.org/
    Kori

I had not heard about that. Thank you for passing on the info.

9. Carolyn B
    December 31, 2010 | 6:14 pm

Thanks for the link! I have been utilizing a plan to read the bible in a year, but would like to step it up a little.

10. Celee
    January 1, 2011 | 12:14 am

I came up with exactly the same schedule. Last yr I did the 90 day challenge twice so this year I want to do it 3 X. We’re traveling in April and I thought I’d need August for homeschool planning and December for Christmas preparation.

I’m so excited, I already started.

Celee

Great minds… I think we would be terrific friends!

11. Bunny
    January 1, 2011 | 9:58 am

I am starting today, enjoyed it last year. I need the challeng to keep me on schedule

12. Christy
    January 1, 2011 | 7:53 pm

What a great idea to have a memorization contest with prizes! That may be the motivation my boys need. I had already planned on reading through the Bible this year, but I think I’ll talk to dh and the boys about it being a family endeavor.

13. Dawnita
    January 1, 2011 | 10:51 pm

I love this! Thanks for the info. My crew will definitely be joining in!

14. Dawn
    January 2, 2011 | 9:55 pm

I have 45 days of the 90 day plan to finish up. Then I plan to go through it again over summer break. I really hadn’t thought of reading it aloud to the kids. It is a LOT of reading. Of course, you know that. LOL! Did you read it to everyone, littles included? I have 16, 12, 11, 10, 9, 7, 6, and 4 yr olds.
    Could you share your expectations of the children while you read? Do they color, play with a quiet toy, or just sit and listen? I really may consider doing this…just need some help with figuring out logistics.
    Thanks! From another mom of 10!

I am planning on reading it to only my little non-readers (4 and 2). Everyone else is reading it on their own. (Our 5 and 7 year old girls are reading through the New Testament, not the entire Bible) I think it’s easier for them to concentrate when they are doing the reading themselves.

Sorry, forgot to answer your questions about expectations. It has turned out that I’m only reading sections to the 2 and 4 year old. (It just hasn’t worked for me to read all of it when they are available to sit and listen.) Anyway, when they are listening they are usually snuggling with me on the couch. I would also allow them to draw quietly if they wished.

15. tom
    January 3, 2011 | 1:06 pm

here is hoping the whole world joins in! blessings tom