Books for Mom: 4 Moms Answer Questions

moms of many manageWelcome to this weeks edition of 4 Moms, 35 Kids: How Moms of Many Manage.  This week we’re answering reader questions.

Be sure to visit the other 4 Moms to find out what questions they are answering today:

KimC at Life in a Shoe
Connie at Smockity Frocks
Headmistress at The Common Room

Today I’m going to answer a question from Annie @ Beauty in the Surrender, “What books would you recommend a mother/wife/woman/child of God to read?”

The Bible, read it and read it often.   After reading through the Bible at least once a year for several years, I highly recommend that you begin some type of regular plan to read through the whole book on a regular basis in addition to your normal study.  Bible reading will give you a solid ground work to recognize the error that you will inevitably find in all other books.

Here are some of  my favorite, life-changing books.  Since I’ve been having difficulty with my memory (I’m thinking it’s probably a lack of sleep) I’m sure that I’m missing some important ones, so I may update this list as I remember.

Foxe’s Book of Martyrs Every Christian should read this book.

The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell – Oh so convicting, re-reading the first few chapters of this book helps me take a deep breath and re-focus on what God requires of me as I interact with my children (and others).

Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp – Other than the Bible, this is the only book on child training that Mark and I recommend.  It provides a biblical ‘why’ and ‘how’ for child training.

The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective by Martha Peace – I read this years ago, but still recall some of the sound advice from this book.

Stepping Heavenward – This beautiful work of fiction is about a young girl who grows in the grace beauty of wisdom of the Lord throughout the various ups and downs of her life.  I’ve purchased and lent it out multiple times and currently don’t have a copy, but will soon because this is a book that I want my girls to read right now.

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael

Here are some of the books that I’ve recently read that I would definitely recommend.

So Much More by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin – A beautiful vision of the fruitful and productive life a submitted daughter can lead as they seek to fulfill God’s calling within the biblical authority structure.  We also enjoy Return of the Daughters.

Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends – We’re finishing up our second time reading this as a family and while it’s specifically speaking about sibling relationships, the truths are applicable to all relationships  (Who wouldn’t benefit from being more sensitive, meek and compassionate?).  We highly recommend reading this as a family.

When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling by R.C. Sproul Jr. – This was a good encouragement and reminder of what our focus should be as we homeschool.

Upgrade: 10 Secrets to the Best Education for Your Child by Kevin Swanson – I loved this book.  It’s another good reminder of what our focus should be in education.

Beloved Bride: The Letters of Stonewall Jackson to His Wife

Our family trusts and enjoys books, cds and dvds from The Vision Forum.  We may not agree with them on every single point, but we have not been disappointed with any of the books, cds or dvds that we’ve purchased from them.  If you like what I write on Raising Olives, you’ll appreciate products from Vision Forum.  Currently I’m anticipating the arrival of Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing a Large Family by Kim Brenneman.  I can’t wait!

Now it’s your turn.  I’d love for you to give me some suggestions for pleasure reading.  I LOVE biographies and have rather eclectic tastes, enjoying a wide range of authors, genres and topics etc.  Two of my favorite authors are Charles Dickens and Thomas Hardy, but I was completely taken with Cry, the Beloved Country and of course love Tolkein and Lewis.  I’m hoping to get an eReader for Christmas, so what do you suggest for my reading list?

Visit the other moms of many to read their answers to your questions:

The Common Room – Has spotty internet access and may post later.  Her grandbaby has been in the ICU since his birth just before Thanksgiving and their whole family could use your prayers.
Smockity Frocks talks about unmotivated learners, grammar, spelling and staying sane
Life in a Shoe tackles breastfeeding, anatomy and clothes storage

Next week the 4 Moms discuss teaching children to do their chores.

For more Moms of Many posts visit the 4 Moms page.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

33 Responses to Books for Mom: 4 Moms Answer Questions
  1. Mari
    December 23, 2010 | 8:50 am

Thank you so much for all that you share here. I read all your post and always gain some new insight or tip. I loved reading Amy Carmichael and am reading some missionary stories with my children this year, I pray their lives are changed as much as mine as we read. Have you read “And the Word Came with Power”? It’s about a Wycliffe missionary. Great book! Blessings to you and your family.

Thank you Mari. Yes, “And the Word Came with Power” is amazing, another of those life-changers! Thank you.

2. Annie @ Beauty In The Surrender
    December 23, 2010 | 9:16 am

Wow! Thank you so much ☺. I now have a list of some great books to get for 2011! My husband and I both enjoy the Bible (of course!) and Tedd Tripps book as well.

3. Samantha
    December 23, 2010 | 10:36 am

I have read The Excellent Wife, and recently bought Shepherding A Child’s Heart. I have Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends on my wish list. I am also reading along with the Bible in 90 Days group again in a few days. 🙂 I will check out a few of your other recommendations as well!

Our family is planning on doing the Bible in 90 Days again this year. Our goal is to do it 3 times, we’ll see how that goes.

4. Celee
    December 23, 2010 | 11:18 am

I’ll have to get Upgrade, I’ve read the others on your list and concur. I would add Heaven by Randy Alcorn. It really helped me to gain an eternal perspective and actually look forward to heaven. I also loved Safely Home, a work of fiction, by Randy Alcorn. It was life-changing. The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges is one of my all-time favorites. Battleing Unbelief by John Piper (adapted from his book Future Grace) is also excellent.

Celee

Thank you for your recommendations. I will certainly be adding some (if not all) to my reading list.

5. Ruth Adams
    December 23, 2010 | 11:42 am

I just finished Large Family Logistics and plan to reread it. I really liked it. Most the chapters are very short, so you can read in little increments. Lots of highly practical advice!

It came in the mail yesterday and I spent a few minutes skimming. I can’t wait to read further.

I’ve said for years that I need to implement her focus days idea.

Thank you Ruth!

6. Church Mouse
    December 23, 2010 | 1:18 pm

Wonderful book list! I’ve just e-mailed this to myself so I can start keeping an eye out for some of these!

My all time favorite book is The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. It’s an autobiography of a christian lady and her family in Holland during WWII. So many faith building and inspiring lessons in that book!

I just added “The Hiding Place” to my Amazon cart. It’s been one I’ve been looking to purchase used, but simply haven’t found. I read it as a young teen and would love to re-read it and have our kids read it.

We have “In My Father’s House” which is a prequel to “The Hiding Place” and both of our big girls have read it and have asked for “The Hiding Place”, thanks for the reminder and excellent suggestion!

7. Sarah
    December 23, 2010 | 2:02 pm

Some of your favourites are the same as mine. I especially love “Stepping heavenward.”
    Have you read “A thousand miles of miracle in China”? An old book about missionaries in China in the Boxer revolution.
    My favourite classic is Elizabeth Gaskell’s “North and South”. Definitely worth reading if you haven’t read it before.
    Please would you write about “Large family logistics” when it arrives. I’ve been debating whether to buy it but have been told it is heavy so have to decide whether it is worth having shipped to the UK!

I haven’t read “A Thousand Miles of Miracles in China”. It sounds great, thank you!

I’ve also not read “North and South”.

Large Family Logistics arrived yesterday. I will try to remember to come back and give you more info when I have a better chance to look it over. If I don’t remember, feel free to email and ask again. 😉

8. Tiffany
    December 23, 2010 | 2:29 pm

I’d recommend Gospel-Powered Parenting by William P. Farley.

9. Dawn
    December 23, 2010 | 4:28 pm

Hi Kim,
    I just gave my daughter Stepping Heavenward for her 16th birthday. I wanted it to coincide with the beginning of the book. The stinker read it in a day. : )
    I finished Large Family Logistics week before last. I have SO missed Kim’s blog since Matthew was born…this book is like a compilation of her blog, with a whole lot more plus!! Extremely practical, with the whole first section of several chapters focusing on Biblical foundations for what she is about to present. I can’t wait to read it again! Have to loan it to a friend first!
    Dawn (another mom of 10)

10. Renata
    December 23, 2010 | 6:09 pm

Thank you for your list – I enjoyed seeing what you read! When do you find the time?
    I have just purchased homeschooling with a meek & quiet spirit & I’m eager to get reading it!
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your precious family!
    Blessings
    Renata:)

I don’t find a lot of time to read. Most of my reading is homeschool related as I pre-read most of the kids assignments.

I do like to read a bit before bed and then when we’re on vacation. On vacation I will take a stack of books and read and read and read and read. I read in the car, on the beach, in the tent, beside the campfire, every free moment on vacation is spent reading. Reading is my vacation.

11. Valerie
    December 23, 2010 | 10:23 pm

Love your reading list – many of my favorites as well. I would heartily add the following:

Humility by Andrew Murray, written in 1896. Life-changing.

Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Eliot

Keeping Our Children’s Hearts by Steve and Teri Maxwell. Most will never agree with them on every point, but the parts of the book about watching the appetites we allow to build in our children by introducing various compromises along the way are very eye-opening.

See #1 again – the Humility book is a game-changer! Wish I knew about it a decade ago.

Thank you Valerie. Humility is now on my list. I bet Keeping Our Children’s Heart would be wonderful for our family to read, thank you!

12. Jama
    December 23, 2010 | 11:15 pm

Ditto to your list. Let me know what you think about Large Family. I would add If I Perish about a Korean woman held in a Japanese prison and Home-Making by J.R. Miller. I think it has a new title as the old one is a bit misleading. It is about realtionships within the family. Like one of your other readers, The Hiding Place has moved to the top of my list. I just finished it last month. I can’t believe I had never read it before.

Is it now called “Mother”? I think I started that, but have not finished it. (A more and more common occurrence these days.) Thank you!

Jama Reply:

No, Mother is another good book. I’ll look it up and send it to you later. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Jama Reply:

From VF’s website
    “Formerly published under the title Home-Making, The Family is an uncompromising vision statement for the domestic bliss and cultural dominion of the Christian family. The message of The Family is powerful: “Sisters, Brothers, Husbands, Wives—home life is meant to be beautiful, ennobling, and victorious!” God intends for each person—from parent to child—to play a role in family life, the ultimate goal of which is the transformation of the individual, the home, and the society for the glory of God.”

13. Kelly Menne
    December 25, 2010 | 12:41 am

Have you read the book ” Don’t Make Me Count to Three” by Ginger Plowman? This is one of my favorites. It gives some practicals to follow “Shepherding Your Child’s Heart.

14. MeMe
    December 28, 2010 | 8:28 am

Hi. Just landed on your blog and I found it great. You have such wonderful big family.

I grabbed the badge to put on my blog. I love happy families.

Thanks for this site. Subscribed.

MeMe

15. Kara @ Home With Purpose
    December 28, 2010 | 9:42 am

Great list! I’ve read most of these and agree with you…they’re must reads!

16. Katrina
    December 29, 2010 | 12:44 pm

I recently finished reading “A Lineage of Grace” by Francine Rivers and although it is fictional work, it is based on what we DO know from the Bible about Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary – five women in the lineage of Christ. Each of the stories is very thought provoking. I just finished reading the story of Mary right before Christmas and it really gave me a new perspective on hearing the “Christmas story” this year.

17. Susan
    December 29, 2010 | 5:23 pm

I’m reading Large Family Logistics and finding it very helpful. I’m not sure if I could fully implement this, but she recommends focusing on one thing a day; eg., laundry (although she doesn’t only do laundry one day of the week), kitchen, office, town, cleaning.
    This book would also be great for a mom who is just starting to fill her quiver.
    What is Kim’s website? She is brand-new to me.
    Thank you for the great post!

I don’t think that Kim still blogs regularly, but her web address is largefamilylogistics.blogspot.com.

I’ve gotten through most of the book now, and am implementing a lot of things. I’m hoping to move chore time to the afternoon and easing up on the work load of the morning, we’ll see.

18. Kath
    January 4, 2011 | 2:23 pm

I recently finished “A Pillar of Iron”, Taylor Caldwells’ historical novel about Marcus Tullius Cicero and am just starting “Dear and Glorious Physician” which is her novel about the Apostle Luke. Caldwell has long been one of my favorite authors, and her historical novels are based on copious amounts of research into the individuals. While I often find her fictional views of life a bit jaded and heartless, she is very sensitive and respectful of Christianity.

19. Taryn
    January 5, 2011 | 10:53 pm

I recommend-Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose- about an American missionary(WWII-Pacific). The Way Home and its sequel by Mary Pride are good. Christian Light Publications and keepersofthefaith.com have many good Christian books. I enjoyed-But Not Forsaken($8.95-267 pages) by Helen Good Brenneman(Christian Light). I recently read- Disney and the Bible(1996).

20. Taryn
    January 5, 2011 | 11:11 pm

I have to add that I read The Hiding Place a few times through the years and I liked the movie more than the book. Corrie ten Boom had co-writers and I think it was their influence- I did want to like the book better than the movie. I read a biography(5.95) about William Wilberforce(and his family) called Freedom Fighter-(keepersofthefaith.com) that I liked better than the recent movie about him- Amazing Grace.

21. Mandi
    April 1, 2014 | 11:09 pm

Since getting out of public school and being a grown-up I’ve rediscovered biographies and really enjoy them too. I’m rereading Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. It’s a modern day autobiography. It absolutely makes me cry out for More of Jesus. (Which is what I love in a book!)