A Christmas Catastrophe

Last week while I was running errands with three of our children I was involved in a conversation with the lady standing behind me in the checkout line.   As we were talking it came up that there are 10 children in our family.  The lady had a typical response, “Wow! You have your hands full” or something like that.

Just at this point Colby (4) heaves a deep sigh, hangs his head and slowly shakes it from side to side as he states, “And our daddy’s dead.”

Read some of the other things Colby did last week, at least he has some table manners.

Read what else we’re laughing about.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

37 Responses to A Christmas Catastrophe
  1. Heather
    December 8, 2010 | 8:29 am

Your son is Awesome! LOL He has a great sense of humor!

2. Mary
    December 8, 2010 | 8:33 am

lol this is soo funny

3. Kristina Transue
    December 8, 2010 | 8:34 am

When my now 8yo daughter was 4 she was taking swimming lessons. At the end of the lesson the instructor said, “Congratulations on your husband being released from jail”. Fortunately, her tone indicated that she knew my daughter was telling stories.

Amazing what they come up with. Love it.

4. Kat Menard
    December 8, 2010 | 8:43 am

I laughed sooooooo hard! My 5 year old son is the same–so you have both my empathy and joy! cheers!

5. Helen
    December 8, 2010 | 8:46 am

That is too much!!! What was the lady’s response?

What was YOURS???

Cheers from the Suite –
    ‘Lucy’

6. Karen
    December 8, 2010 | 8:46 am

That made my morning! SO funny!

7. Elle
    December 8, 2010 | 8:50 am

You might want to sign that boy up for drama classes, as he has a gift for it! That was awesome! What was your response? And what was his dad’s?

8. Anita Chamblee
    December 8, 2010 | 8:55 am

Oh, my!! I’m dying to know the adult responses to that! He sounds so much like my precocious 3 year old grandson! And really, I am having so much more appreciation for those of you with many small children. My own seven children average 4 years between them. My daughter is here visiting with her three. The little guys in our home today are 6, 3, 26 months, 22 months and baby Ashtyn Claire at 8 weeks. My house is a wreck, but we are enjoying the time together!

9. Renee
    December 8, 2010 | 9:01 am

Oh dear! He is funny!!!!

10. brenda
    December 8, 2010 | 9:04 am

Oh my word!!! What did you DO? 🙂 That is so funny. If a charity organization shows up at your door with Christmas gifts for your children, you can all thank Colby! HA!

11. Katie
    December 8, 2010 | 9:12 am

Holy cow!!!! You have me laughing out loud!! THat’s hilarious! how ever did she respond?!?

12. Samantha
    December 8, 2010 | 9:15 am

You can’t leave us hanging like that! What next!?

13. Meredith_in_Aus
    December 8, 2010 | 9:16 am

Hilarious! Too many tear-jerker read-alouds perhaps? (Like Sonlight’s “Family Under the Bridge”).

I’d like to know what the response(s) was(were), too!

In Him

Meredith

14. Amber A
    December 8, 2010 | 9:24 am

I laughed so loud my kids came to see what I was laughing at! He is so much like my Judah! I feel your pain and frustration and all the laughing and joy you get from this kid. He has to be such a joy to parent! let me know if you ever figure out how his brain works, I am trying to figure out Judah’s so I can just keep up! lol

15. Heather
    December 8, 2010 | 9:40 am

Oh my! I think you might have your hands full with that one! 🙂 I agree with the others, we need to hear the rest, what happened after that?!

16. Christine L.
    December 8, 2010 | 9:40 am

It was February and I was pregnant with #6. I decided to take the kids to IHOP for breakfast and after playing musical chairs, the server came over for our order. My very social 5 year old said hi and introduced our whole family. He then told her that “we just lost our dad”. I had a five second window to tell her that my husband had just left for a deployment before she burst into tears!!

17. L2L
    December 8, 2010 | 10:04 am

this beats my daughter’s “new mommy” she is always talking about, lol. (Usually her new mommy will let her do what I wont, ha ha) Finally one of her older brother’s asked her last week where she got this new mommy from, and she looked at him and in all seriousness said: “From the robot store, duh!!!!” We joke that most kids have imaginary friends, our daughter has a whole family 😉

18. Jenny
    December 8, 2010 | 11:00 am

WHAT?!? TOO funny!!!

19. Dawn
    December 8, 2010 | 12:09 pm

HA! ROFL!! Were you able to keep a straight face?

20. Carly
    December 8, 2010 | 12:39 pm

Oh my! That is too funny. He sounds like a handful in all the best ways. Please share with us the responses.

21. Kelly Maine
    December 8, 2010 | 12:44 pm

Too funny! So dramatic. 🙂

22. Amy Lovejoy
    December 8, 2010 | 12:45 pm

Oh my! I have a four year old girl, and she’s been coming up with a few gems like that too! I would like to know what your response was (though, I can guess that you quickly corrected him).
    The other day, Emma (4) and I were reading a Christmas book and on the last page, there was a nice picture of the shepherds coming to see baby Jesus. Emma exclaimed, “They’re coming to steal the baby!”

23. Amy McP
    December 8, 2010 | 12:54 pm

Our 3rd son (of 5 sons) is like this, my husband calls them “Maxwellisms”. We are grateful that we got several sons first to prepare us for Maxwell. Not sure we would have 5 if he was first! Our favorite story is Maxwell explaining at 5 1/2 that the baby has an umbilical cord to keep him from floating into the large intestine. Apparently he did pay attention to “some” of the older boys homeschooling.

24. Jennifer
    December 8, 2010 | 1:05 pm

that made me lol! What a kid!

25. Tami
    December 8, 2010 | 1:13 pm

That was not what I was expecting! That is hilarious!!

26. Stefani
    December 8, 2010 | 1:31 pm

Now that is hilarious. I would love to have seen the look on the lady’s face when he said that.

27. Melissa P. @Mel4Him
    December 8, 2010 | 1:46 pm

Oh my goodness. Too funny! I can just picture it all playing out. lol

28. Taryn
    December 8, 2010 | 2:32 pm

stevenandersonfamily just had their 6th today(3boys,3girls) at home(homeschoolers). Beautiful pictures at their blog.

29. Anna
    December 8, 2010 | 3:30 pm

I needed that laugh!! Kids kill me! ha ha ha. My three year old just told a perfect stranger at the dentist this morning, “Yeah there are six kids and my daddy has a gun!” ha ha ha. And he doesn’t!

30. Emily
    December 8, 2010 | 4:00 pm

I just literally laughed out loud! Your Colby posts are great! He sounds like such a fun little BOY! =)

31. Leslie
    December 8, 2010 | 4:16 pm

LOL!! Thank you, I needed that laugh!

32. Dacia
    December 8, 2010 | 5:58 pm

That’s hilarious!

33. Carm
    December 8, 2010 | 9:16 pm

My niece Habiba used to tell tall-tales all the time. When she was 4, we happened to be riding on a bus the day after she scraped the top of her lip after a fall. When a kind, old lady asked what had happened, Habiba replied, “My mommy did it”. My poor sister-in-law was mortified!!!

34. Heidi C.
    December 8, 2010 | 9:29 pm

That kid cracks me up! I love it!

35. Moms of Many Manage Toys | Raising Olives
    December 9, 2010 | 8:20 am

[…] I’ve spent the blog week documenting  some of Colby’s antics and even sharing his catastrophic Christmas tale, I figure that it’s only fair to say publicly that Colby is one of my BEST organizers and […]

36. Sarah
    December 14, 2010 | 11:03 pm

When I was about 4, my dad said he was out with me somewhere, and as usual I couldn’t just walk normally beside him. I was dragging one leg or something like that, and a man came up and told my dad he was with the Shriners and wanted to know how long I had been crippled and if they could help. Needless to say, my dad is more amused by it now than he was then 🙂