Freezer OAMC Recipes: Part 1 (Winter Menu)

We regularly do once-a-month freezer cooking, but we do it in a way all our own. We bulk freezer cook with 4 other families once every two months. We pend several hours on  Saturday morning preparing the food and each family takes home 40-50 meals for their freezer.

Freezer cooking is one of the things that enable our family to function smoothly. I do not have to menu plan or grocery shop each week. I do not have to spend time preparing a large dinner every evening (but we are able to eat as if I do). This frees up a lot of time and saves us a lot of money. (Our freezer meals cost an average of $5-6 per meal and each meal feeds our family of 12.)

Chicken Gumbo served in a fresh bread bowl

Here are some recipes from our last cook day back in November. For our cook days, we multiply each of these recipes by 10 so that each family will get two meals from each recipe.  More coming soon. I hope to have more recipes coming soon.

Interested in freezer cooking? You may like:

Balkan Meatballs

1 eggs
0.25 cup milk
0.333 cup oats
0.75 tsp salt
0.75 tsp sugar
0.25 tsp ginger
0.25 tsp nutmeg
0.25 tsp allspice
1 lb beef raw
0.5 cup fresh onion

Cook Day:
Mix all ingredients together, shape into meatballs and bake until done.
Serve Day:
Heat and eat. Use for spaghetti, meatball subs, etc.

Beef Brisket

16 oz red wine dry
1 can tom diced
1 tsp parsely leaves fresh
3 each bay leaves
1 tbs flour

Cook Day:
Put all ingredients into a gallon size freezer bag.
Serve Day:
Thaw and cook in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours.

Beef & Shallots

precut bag shallots
2 TB olive oil
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp pepper
4 cup beef broth
1 cup portwine
2 tsp tom paste
3 lb beef tenderloin (we used rib-eye because of price, but I think a less fatty cut would be better)
1.25 tsp thyme
4 slices bacon
0.5 stick butter
1.2 Tb flour

Cook Day:
Brown roast in butter. Then dump all ingredients into a gallon size freezer bag.
Serve Day:
Thaw and cook in slow cooker 6-8 hours.

Green Chile Burritos

2 lb beef, browned
1 lb g. turkey, browned
1 onion fresh
1 can tom diced w/chilis
1 can tom diced
1 tsp garlic powder
0.25 bag bell pepper
0.5 tsp oregano
0.5 tsp salt
0.25 tsp pepper
0.25 tsp cumin
1 can refried beans (We pre-make these.)
10 each tortillas

Cook Day:
Combine all but tortillas. Then place filling in tortillas and roll. Place back in the bag the tortillas came in to freeze.
Serve Day:
Heat and eat.

Tamale Pie

2 lb beef browned
1 onion fresh
0.13 cup taco mix
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder
1.25 tsp cumin
2 can tomato sauce
0.5 tsp Tabasco sauce
0.3 cup water
1 bag corn
8 oz cheddar cheese
1 box jiffy corn bread (prepared)
1 egg (use this to prepare the cornbread)
0.5 cup milk (use this to prepare the cornbread)

Cook Day:
In a 9 x 13 layer meat then the seasonings and veggies. Top with cheese and cornbread.
Serve Day:
Thaw. Heat covered at 350 for 1 hour.

Chicken Gumbo

2 lb chk cook
1 lb sausage cook
1 cup bell pepper
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup oil
1/2 cup green onion
1 tsp g powder
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 cup chk broth
4 cup water

Cook Day:
Saute green peppers, onions and spices in oil. Add flour and chicken broth and stir until thickened. Pour over chicken. Note: omit the water, you will add that on serve day.
Serve Day:
Add water if desired and serve over rice. We love it in bread bowls. (see picture)

If you have specific questions about these recipes of if the amounts aren’t clear feel free to ask.

Share on Facebook6Pin on Pinterest105Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

22 Responses to Freezer OAMC Recipes: Part 1 (Winter Menu)
  1. chantelle
    January 26, 2011 | 7:46 am

Thank you for the great post. Looking forward to more in the future. :)

2. Sarah
    January 26, 2011 | 8:08 am

Great idea but did you need to buy much new equipment to cook this type of volume-sounds like a total for about 200 meals per month? I’ve toyed with once a month cooking several times but haven’t quite plucked up courage!

No, we didn’t have to buy much special equipment. Keep in mind that I cook for 12 people all the time so I already have some large pots.

On cook day we generally have two very large pots. For mixing particularly large recipes (like the meatballs) we use a plastic bucket, something like this that someone purchased from Wal-Mart.

Everyone brings broiler pans, measuring cups and spoons, can openers and cookie sheets from home so that we have enough for the volume of food that we’re handling.

3. Tina Stacy
    January 26, 2011 | 11:39 am

I would love to see a recipe for the bread bowl. Are you able to freeze the bread or do you make it when you are ready to use the frozen gumbo?

We make it fresh when we’re ready to eat the Gumbo, although I suppose you could freeze it.

The recipe that I use is in,Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking. I love this book. We use it for pizza crusts, calzones, bagels and bread bowls in addition to just plain, old crispy-on-the-outside-soft-and-yummy-on-the-inside bread.

4. laura haiker
    January 26, 2011 | 6:35 pm

For the chicken gumbo, are you using a pork breakfast sausage and the cooked chicken. Is that just boiled chicken breasts cubed up?
    Thanks for all the recipes. Looking forward to trying them.

Yes, you may use pork breakfast sausage. When I make it at home I use Italian sausage.

Yes, the cooked chicken is simply boiled chicken breasts cubed up. (Make sure you save the chicken broth to use in the gumbo. :) )

5. leigh
    January 26, 2011 | 7:28 pm

I realize this may be a silly question to some…but when you thaw out a casserole or brisket do you thaw out in the fridge or on the counter..and how long does it take to thaw something that size?

Hi Leigh,

It’s not a silly question. When I’m thawing a 9 x 13, I make sure I get it out first thing in the morning and it thaws on the counter. I also usually allow for an hour cook time because often the center is still frozen when it’s time to put it in the oven.

For brisket or a piece of meat that we will cook in the crock pot, I put it on the counter the day before we’re going to eat it when it’s sufficiently thawed I put it into the refrigerator. Then I’m able to put it in the crock pot at the appropriate time the next day.

6. Tina
    January 27, 2011 | 7:10 am

Thank you so much for the response. I can’t wait to get a copy of that book.

7. Ruth
    January 27, 2011 | 2:41 pm

Question about the Beef Brisket recipe: the “precut bag red onion”, is that frozen minced onion (which I’ve never seen in red)? What size bag? Or does someone cut up red onion and bring it in bags? If so, what size bag and how much in it?

Probably a stupid question, but I want to make this recipe and don’t want to use too much or too little onion.

Thanks!

Hi Ruth,

As part of the prep work before cook day someone chops red onion and bags it up according to recipe.

Our family did the vegetable prep for this past cook day and based on Alyssa’s (my red onion chopper) recollection, I think it would be about one onion. The good thing is that the onion amount shouldn’t be too critical for it to turn out nice.

Sorry I’m not able to be more help.

8. Kristin
    January 27, 2011 | 8:17 pm

My girls and I tried OAMC and absolutely loved it. We spread it out over two days so that we were able to make breakfast foods and snacks in addition to dinners. I have wanted to attempt it again since we had such good results, but we are definitely going to need to get a bigger freezer.

9. Leah
    January 28, 2011 | 7:01 pm

Yum! I made the chicken gumbo for supper tonight. It is delicious. Thank you very much for sharing the recipe. I doubled the recipe so that we could have enough for supper and enough for another meal in the freezer. The children couldn’t get enough of it!

10. KellyM
    January 30, 2011 | 9:49 pm

I have been learning to cook in bulk and freeze extra meals since I got pregnant with Baby #5 (he’s now 7 weeks old). I love it! My biggest questions for you about the OAMC group is how to start a group like that, and how to run it. I love the idea and would really love to share the time and the blessings with friends, but contemplating the logistics of it exhausts my brain! I just don’t know where to start. I’d love to hear more about that!

Hi Kelly,

I wrote a post about how our group does it, you my find that here.

11. sillygeese
    January 31, 2011 | 2:30 pm

I’ve been doing a variation of OAMC since I read about it on your site last year. I don’t have another family to work with, but I prebrown and portion out all my hamburger meat now and buy it in bulk just for that purpose, I also premake chicken enchalada chicken and portion that out. With baby #3 coming very soon I need to get serious and restock my freezer! Once again a well timed post on your blog!

12. Kim
    February 24, 2011 | 1:56 pm

I have a question about the Tamale pie. Do you completely prepare and cook the corn bread or just prepare and not cook?? Do you add the raw mix on top?

We completely prepare and cook the corn bread. :)

Dana Reply:

When you prepare, do you leave it whole and place on top or crumble?

13. Colleen
    August 1, 2012 | 4:32 pm

Do you have OAMC for the other seasons? Thanks so much for your site!! It’s great! May God bless you!!

I have recipes, but haven’t yet put them on the blog.

Thank you.