The 4 Moms Spring Clean

moms of many manageOr at least some of them do.

You know what they say about the best laid plans…

Yesterday I spent much of the day holding this precious sick baby girl

Awww, doesn't she look pitiful?

and loving every single second of it.

God is so very good that even in the midst of sickness, the direct result of sin, we receive a precious blessing of being able to snuggle with a baby who generally thinks she is too big to snuggle anymore.

So today, rather than a fresh new post about spring cleaning, (I did toss some toys yesterday), I’m re-posting an old post about how I freshened up our home with a $1 yard sale purchase of a set of shot glasses.

Reposted from April 2009.

violets in shot glass

Recently I found an assortment of shot glasses at a yard sale and I knew they would be just the thing for the proliferation of springtime bouquets that the children gather from our yard. Dandelions and dainty violets look charming in these glasses that are the perfect size for tiny stems.

Star of Bethelehem shot glass 1

Star of Bethlehem shot glass 2

Yesterday our children found a patch of Star of Bethlehem that has provided us with some especially lovely arrangements. rooting cuttings

They are also the ideal size for propagating plants from cuttings on a sunny window sill,

makeup in shot glasses

for holding makeup essentials so they fit neatly into our medicine cabinet,

rubber bands in shot glass

or small rubber bands and barrettes for little girl’s hair.

Glassware is inexpensive at yard sales. I got this matching set of 20 shot glasses plus some non-matching pieces for $1. I know there are a lot of other ways that we can recycle glassware. I’d love to hear your ideas.

Read more Works for Me posts or ideas to save money or how I re-purposed some old drawers and decorated our boys room on the cheap.

Be sure to visit the other 4 Moms to read about their spring cleaning projects (really):

The 4 Moms upcoming topics:

• Bread baking
  • The large family attends church- Getting out the door (hopefully on time).
  • Q & A

For more Moms of Many posts visit the 4 Moms page.

Facebook0Pinterest0EmailTwitter0

9 Responses to The 4 Moms Spring Clean
  1. DHM
    March 10, 2011 | 10:03 am

Love your shot glasses!

2. melissa
    March 10, 2011 | 3:02 pm

I am knew to your blog and have been enjoying it for a few weeks now. I have 6 children and enjoy thoroughly being a wife and a mother. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I have already learned some great tips from reading your blog. :) Your comment today about sickness being a direct result of sin caught me off guard. Do you really believe that sickness is a result of something that someone does wrong? If you don’t mind me asking, why do you believe that?

Sickness is a direct result of sin, if Adam and Eve had not sinned there would be no illness or death in the world. That is what I’m referring to in my post.

If you’re asking if I believe that each sickness is a direct result of someone’s particular sin. The answer to that would be ‘no’. I’m sorry that wasn’t more clear in the post.

kate Reply:

Thanks so much for clarifying. I thought you meant your baby had sinned & was quite upset at the thought. Carry on with your good work:)

3. Ruth
    March 10, 2011 | 11:49 pm

I hope Bella is feeling better. February was a month of non stop illness in our family. We went from viruses to poison ivy with a grand finally of the flu. Enjoy those snuggles with that cutie pie.

4. Valerie
    March 11, 2011 | 1:32 am

I have been reading your blog for a while now I guess because I absolutely remember that post!! I loved it then and I love it now :)

5. Jonnie Bernier
    March 13, 2011 | 3:22 am

My 9 month old has been teething for 3 days now, and I have got to cuddle & carry him around with me, I love babies! I could just hold them, and look into their amazing beutiful faces forever. I guess that is why I have 6 so far. Love your blog, keep up the good workl.

6. Jennifer
    March 17, 2011 | 1:20 am

We also love using small heavy glasses as drinking glasses for littles. It teaches them to be careful and to drink from a glass without being a huge handful that they cannot manage.

7. Becky
    January 22, 2012 | 11:25 am

i’ve seen some people use shot glasses for desserts. like mousses or jello. things that you can put in there, chill and pull out in perfectly little portioned sizes.:-)