Friday Favorites

I enjoy Kelly’s blog, her writing is thoughtful and thought provoking. I appreciated her post Children: Heritage or Possession and  A Case for Homeschooling: Is there a ‘Biblical Model’ for Education addresses a question that every Christian parent is responsible to consider but many never even ask; does God care how we educate our children, not just what we teach them, but how?

Michelle @ My Blessed Home encourages us to respond with grace when we get unkind comments about our large family.

Amy @ Raising Arrows shares tips on How to be a Conversational Mom.

Our family (Mark and I and the oldest 4 children) will finish reading through the Bible in 90 Days on Tuesday. Since we’ve been making good progress on memorizing Scripture while we’ve been reading at this pace we decided to omit the month of focusing on memorization and simply read through the Bible in 90 Days again on starting on April 1. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome. :)

I’m loving the  Kindle that I got free last week thanks to Swagbucks. There are many wonderful public domain books available and the children and I are enjoying exploring new books.  Current reading list: Uncle Tom’s Cabin, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, the Bible, White Fang, Princess Adelina, Little House on the Prairie, and Heidi.

Edited to add: All time favorite of the week,  Madison’s effort to build a water well in Africa!

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

18 Responses to Friday Favorites
  1. Jennifer Jordan
    March 25, 2011 | 11:16 am

How did you get a Kindle? I didn’t see it in the store. I’m saving up for something big…that would be a good thing!

Hi Jennifer, I purchased a Kindle and the case with Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks.

My next purchase…an iPad for my hubby. I will also get that with Amazon gift cards because it’s a better value than purchasing an iPad directly from the Swagbucks store. :)

2. Kelli
    March 25, 2011 | 12:24 pm

You have inspired me to read the bible with my daughter in 90 days. We will start with you on April 1st. Thank you for being an inspiration, even though I am a single mom of one precious girl not a large family.

Thanks Kelli! We’ve enjoyed each of our Bible in 90 Days challenges and pray that you do too.

3. Kelli
    March 25, 2011 | 12:38 pm

Kimberly,
    I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on scripture memorization? I’m finishing up the 90 day challenge next week as well and would like to focus on memorization for a while. What have you and your family been memorizing?

We’ve recently been memorizing the Psalms. When we read through the book of Psalms we were surprised at how many we had memorized and we’ve been toying with the idea of memorizing the whole book.

A while ago I posted about some of the things that we’ve had our children memorize.

We also have our children memorize the both the Children’s Catechism (before they can read) and the Shorter Catechism, although the Shorter is harder for us to review regularly.

4. Emily
    March 25, 2011 | 1:10 pm

We are finishing up our bible next week as well. I’m so glad we decided to join you and start in January. It has brought me and my husband so much closer since we started reading out loud every night. It has been so much fun!
    Emily

5. Valerie
    March 25, 2011 | 10:01 pm

The thought of reading through the Bible in 90 days is overwhelming to me! I don’t think I’m managing my time very well. You all inspire me. One day I’ll get there hopefully!

Melody Reply:

Valerie, it was overwhelming to me too the first time I tried it. I didn’t make it in 90 days – it took me just about two weeks longer – but it was well worth the try. It was neat.

I am starting my second attempt April 1. Funny thing is, I picked that date a few weeks ago and have been looking forward to starting again. . .then I saw this post tonight. Nice to have more company!

So nice to have friends to read along with. I’m glad you chose April 1. :)

6. Celee
    March 26, 2011 | 9:53 pm

I think I’ll still take April off. I like the idea of 3 months on and 1 month off. I’m trying to make progress with spring cleaning and room by room purging and reorganization.

We love the Psalms, too. The whole book would be quite a challenge. How long do you think it would take you? We don’t review often enough, but we’ve only made it through verse 40 of Psalm 119 and sometimes I think we’ll never get all the way through that chapter! The Jamie Soles CDs and a Sing the Word CD we have in the car have been helping. It’s always so fun to see the recognition on my children’s faces when we recite or hear a Psalm read in church that they know.

I’m working on Colossians in a year through A Holy Experience blog and loving the accountability to memorize just for me (no kids in on this one.) You have such a wide following, maybe you should host a similar book memorization next year.

Celee

Psalm 119 is daunting to me. There are so many similar parts that make it a difficult passage to memorize.

I’m not sure how long it would take to memorize the Psalms. When we realized how much of the book we already have memorized we started talking about how neat it would be to memorize the whole book. It somehow seems manageable because each Psalm stand on it’s own and can therefore be memorized that way. (Rather than memorizing say, Isaiah.)

You have me interested in the Colossians memorization with A Holy Experience. I will check that out. We’re currently memorizing the book of James (just starting the second chapter). It would be neat to have more accountability.

7. heatherr
    March 27, 2011 | 11:02 pm

Where did you find Little House on the Prarie for the Kindle? I have searched EVERYWHERE!

Sorry that wasn’t clear, some of those are Kindle books and others are not. I’m reading a hard copy of Little House.

8. Grateful for Grace
    March 28, 2011 | 12:42 pm

I’m behind on the Bible reading in 90 Days but am sooo glad I’m still doing it.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin was the very first book I read on my Kindle.

9. Tracy
    March 28, 2011 | 3:51 pm

Kimberly,

How long did it take you to get the Kindle?

What is the way that you earn Swagbucks mostly? I signed up after seeing your post but it seems super time consuming.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

It did not take long to earn the Kindle, BUT I have a lot of referrals signed up under me. Before I had any referrals I was earning about $15- $30 in Amazon gift cards a month.

We earn Swagbucks by using Swagbucks instead of Google to search. I have Swagbucks set as the default search engine on our computer. (When you type a search query into the browser it uses Swagbucks for the search.) So using Swagbucks doesn’t take any additional time.

Does that answer your questions?

Tracy Reply:

Yes, thank you. We will give it a try and hopefully we help you in turn too! :)