Glass Front Cabinet Makeover

We have a great kitchen, it’s bigger than any kitchen we’ve ever had before. However, four out of seven top cabinets in our kitchen have open or glass fronts. Great for displaying pretty china or serving pieces,

but not great if you have 10 kids and need the space for food storage. Despite my best efforts to keep things ‘pretty’  our glass front cabinets looked like this.

Since new cabinet doors cost nearly $150 a piece, I decided to makeover the cabinets myself.  Our kitchen has no natural light source so I needed something that would keep things nice and bright.

I found these back splash panels at Lowe’s and knew they would be perfect.

This is a super easy, super quick makeover.

Supplies needed:

• Screwdriver
  • Back splash panels
  • Sharpie
  • Scissors
  • Glue if the panels aren’t larger than the open space of your cabinet. There is a special glue designed specifically for adhering the back splash panels, but I used hot glue, shhh.

1. Remove the glass from the cabinet door by loosening the clips that hold the glass in place with a screwdriver.

2. Lay the glass on the back splash panel and mark the along the edges of the glass with a Sharpie.

I marked on the front of the panel because the edges of the cut panel will be hidden by the frame of the cabinet door.

3. Using scissors cut along the Sharpie line.

4. If your panel isn’t as big as the glass, now is the time to add to it. The panels are designed to overlap and line up a certain way to make the joins invisible.  (My pattern didn’t match up perfectly because of the way I patched it together to get by with purchasing fewer panels, but once it was installed it was nearly impossible to tell.)

Line up the additional piece with the already cut piece under the glass and mark the cutting lines.

5. Cut the additional piece.

6. Peel the protective film from the front of the back splash panel.

7. Overlap and glue the first panel piece to the additional panel piece. I used hot glue for this, but they do make glue specifically for adhering these panels if you’re inclined to purchase it.

8. Put the cut and pieced back splash panel, right side up on top of the glass and screw it all (glass and panel) back into place.

9. Enjoy your new cabinet fronts.

Now no one needs to see all of our food stuffs every time they come into our kitchen.

You may see more tutorials and ideas on the Tutorials Page.

Share on Facebook10Pin on Pinterest426Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

21 Responses to Glass Front Cabinet Makeover
  1. Roan
    April 5, 2011 | 8:47 am

Kimberly,
    The cabinets look wonderful! I know you are proud of how they turned out. I am impressed by your work.
    How is your school year going, not using Sonlight? We are 2/3 through with Core 5. I plan to drop back to core 3/4 for my 7th grader next year, and use Core 1 for my 2nd grader….I made a long range plan of using Sonlight through high school, but using Notgrass high school history books instead of some of the Sonlight history books, as well as omitting some of the upper level core literature selections.
    We’ll see!

Have a super day!
    Roan

We’re loving homeschooling without Sonlight for the older children. I’m still using Core 1 loosely for the younger ones. Our homeschool is becoming more what we want it to become and we are enjoying watching our older children blossom into the young men and women that God created them to be.

2. amber
    April 5, 2011 | 9:02 am

we just looked at those panels lol, we ended up using a real metal sheet to make a back splash for our kitchen, we didnt’ have ANY cabinets in the main kitchen so we went to habitat and bought old ones ($117 for 2 bottom drawer units and a big wall), bought a counter top at Mendards ($23), 2 metal sheets ($44) and a gallon of paint to make the cabinets match ($30) we are almost done with it all and I am so Excited to actually have counter space and cabinets in my kitchen!!! Love the quick and thrifty ‘upgrades’ to make things functional and pretty at the same time!

I love how creative people can be at finding solutions to everyday needs.

We’re getting ready to re-do our kids/guest bathroom and I’m working to figure out creative solutions to some of our current problems. I’m thinking I should post about it and get more brains on the task, mine’s tired. :)

3. DeAnn
    April 5, 2011 | 9:19 am

Very Creative, I love it!
    6jellybeans@blogspot.com

4. Dawn@OneFaithfulMom
    April 5, 2011 | 9:52 am

Now that looks great!! I am always so impressed by the way Moms can figure things out! You probably saved a ton of money doing it that way. It looks so nice.
    With 10 kids, kitchen cabinets can be a real bear. I know! What a great solution you came up with!
    It adds such a nice look to the kitchen too.

5. Bunny
    April 5, 2011 | 10:41 am

Looks great!

6. Lori-Marie
    April 5, 2011 | 10:56 am

Hello~
    Love this & it looks great!
    My son & I used these same panels to put behind our sink…everyone says “oh are those old metal ones”! He-ha they wipe off & look great!
    A wonderful idea!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings~
    ~Lori

The panels are lovely. I actually wanted to go with the bronze color because I love warm colors, but it just wouldn’t work in our kitchen.

7. Valerie Jorgovan
    April 5, 2011 | 11:43 am

Looks great Kimberly!

8. Jama
    April 5, 2011 | 12:03 pm

Very pretty!

9. Bonni
    April 5, 2011 | 2:16 pm

Beautiful! I have discovered with our large family that systems and furniture have to work with MY personality and temperate. As a homeschooling family, I felt like our bookshelves always looked messy. When I passed by them, I just didn’t feel at peace. I decided to take the books that we used every day and put them in large, heavy tote bags. Each child has 1 or 2 bags. They are stored neatly and I actually got rid of 2 bookshelves! Even if it doesn’t bother other people, if it bothers mom, it is nice to change it!

LOL. I recently gave each of the children a plastic bin for their school books to clear off some of our shelf space. I know what you mean, shelves can look very messy.

10. Ruth
    April 5, 2011 | 3:49 pm

Looks Great!

11. Cynthia
    April 5, 2011 | 6:06 pm

So pretty!

12. Vanessa
    April 5, 2011 | 8:05 pm

I like it- this is also a great way to reduce visibility where you don’t want it;

13. valerie
    April 6, 2011 | 12:24 am

I super super super love your solution!! That is creative, and fun, and purposeful. That’s why I always come back to your sweet blog :)

14. misty
    April 6, 2011 | 12:56 am

great job!

15. Andrea
    April 6, 2011 | 5:15 am

They look great!!!!

16. Lynn
    April 6, 2011 | 1:47 pm

Hello Kimberly-I’m not sure of the best place for this question so I’m putting it under a saving money post. (By the way, I like your way of hiding the dishes. I’m not a fan of glass cabinets for that very reason. . .I don’t want to see the mess behind them and I don’t really have nice dishes to display anyway!)

I am truly enjoying your thought provoking blog and how it’s helping me examine my own life & make adjustments. You live such a good example of a Godly life that I’m assuming your family tithes. How do you handle (or what is your take on) saving money for college education for your children or retirement for yourselves? I haven’t seen any information about what your husband does for a living so don’t know your full situation but is it even possible to tithe, live on one income, support a large family and save for college/retirement?

For that matter-anyone else out there, I’d love your take on this as well!

17. Marilyn Brauer
    April 6, 2011 | 6:48 pm

Wow, you are so creative! I love using things that were originally designed for something else to fit my needs! Thanks for the inspiration!