Favorite Black Bean Soup Recipe

This black bean soup is inexpensive, simple, spicy and scrumptious. It’s also a great vegetarian option.

• 4 lbs black beans
  • 1 1/2 diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup  chopped pickled jalapeno slices
  • 2 TBL sugar
  • 2 TBL red wine vinegar
  • 12 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cyenne pepper
  • 1 TBL chili powder
  • Sour cream

Cook black beans. Add remaining ingredients except for sour cream. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour. Add water if necessary.

Optional: Remove some of the soup, we usually do a quarter to half of it and place by small batches into a blender and blend, then add back into the pot of soup.

Garnish with sour cream.  (Don’t skip this!)

Share on Facebook8Pin on Pinterest7Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

10 Responses to Favorite Black Bean Soup Recipe
  1. Rachel E.
    May 23, 2011 | 10:16 am

This sounds delicious. I love black beans. I finally found them at the local market here in Poland. As with anything, it’s just a matter of time. I will have to try this recipe. How much does it make? It sounds like a large recipe with 4 pounds of beans and 12 cloves of garlic. I know you have a large family, so do you have leftovers after the meal?

My children love soup in general and they love this soup in particular. If I serve this as our main course I basically do not have any leftovers. So serves 12 in our home.

2. Amy
    May 23, 2011 | 2:43 pm

Mmmm… I love cooking with black beans. Saving this page!

3. Rachel Q
    May 23, 2011 | 4:52 pm

Sounds wonderful both for the taste and the cost! I’d love to try it, but I’m a bit concerned…my little nursling doesn’t seem to do well w/ spicy stuff. Any suggestions?

The charm of this soup is the spice, so I wouldn’t want to take that away.

A different option would be serving black beans with saffron rice, not spicy but still delicious.

4. Laura
    May 28, 2011 | 12:03 am

I made this today and I LOVED it! :) I also made some Chismole from Nourishing Traditions, and it was awesome on top of the sour cream. BTW, how does it heat up? Thank you for sharing this recipe!

5. Marisa I.
    June 1, 2011 | 6:36 pm

I made this last night and it was great, except it needed about 5 times as much salt, but that’s easily remedied. I love the texture of beans. I made it exactly as written and now I’d like to tweak it a little by using fresh jalapenos. I can imagine dumping a jar of salsa into it would also be great.

6. Marisa I.
    June 1, 2011 | 6:42 pm

A tip for anyone who wants to try this recipe: I soaked the beans for 24 hours in water with baking soda (1Tbsp/quart), and that all but completely eliminated the common digestive problems that usually come with beans. It’s the first time I ever soaked beans with baking soda and I’m really excited about it!

7. Angela
    June 2, 2011 | 1:14 pm

There is a similar recipe, if not the same one, in the book Nourishing Traditions, and I LOVE it. I had no idea it would be so good until a good friend made it for me.

Thanks for reminding me, I’m going to make it for dinner :)

8. Cheryl
    January 16, 2015 | 8:46 pm

Don’t know if anyone will still see this or not (!), but how do you pickle jalapeño slices? Can you just roast them, peel and chop?