Not Me: Bird Poop, Socks and Ear Rings

“Not Me” – Bravely confessing some of my (or my family’s)  faults, failings and quirks by denying them.

We have not had a large marker mural on the wall spanning the length of the staircase even though we’ve had multiple groups of company through our home. I always make sure my house is pristine before company comes and would not let such ‘artwork’ remain for more than a couple of hours.

I do not regularly  find socks lying on the ground outside in our yard.

Our children always take meticulous care of their belongings and would not leave socks or shoes or binoculars or flashlights or books or jackets or… out to be ruined.

Someone was not sitting in an inopportune spot on our deck when a bird felt the need to relieve itself.

That someone did not start begging to remain anonymous as the other children immediately and without prompting ran to get a camera for a ‘not me’ picture.

Last week I ran to the grocery store with the 6 youngest children. I laughed to myself  thinking of the four other children at home as person after person throughout the grocery store remarked how full my hands were and what a busy mom I must be. I laughed that is until I got home and realized that it may not have been the children that prompted the comments. I did not have on one large, dangly ear ring and only one large, dangly ear ring.  I looked like I had my hands full, children or not.

As we were getting into the car after a church picnic where one of our children had worn flip flops, one of the bigger kids did not point out that HE had polish on his toes and feet from his recent experiment with painting his own toe nails.

Nope, not in our family!

Facebook8Pinterest0EmailTwitter0

17 Responses to Not Me: Bird Poop, Socks and Ear Rings
  1. Chrissy
    May 2, 2011 | 9:48 am

Oh girl…the sock in the yard? That is SO my house! Glad to know I’m perfectly normal.

2. Suzanne
    May 2, 2011 | 10:47 am

Oh wow! The I cold take the bird poop & socks in the yard, but the toenail polish! I’m sure you were less than thrilled. : )

3. Homeschool on the Croft
    May 2, 2011 | 10:57 am

I’m glad to hear it, K, because *none* of these things would ever have happened to me or mine either.
    Phew!

4. Janette
    May 2, 2011 | 11:14 am

LOL! I once went grocery shopping…to 2 stores, put down my son for a nap, started working on my bible study & while praying realized that I had a lollipop stuck in my hair. I then looked at all the crayon marks on my walls and smiled. I will someday MISS having a lillipop in my hair so I prayed that I enjoy it the next time it happens. :-)

5. Christine N.
    May 2, 2011 | 1:19 pm

I want to see a picture of the marker mural. :)

And to think that I took a picture this morning and then decided not to post it. Honestly, the picture didn’t do it justice because I couldn’t get the WHOLE thing. However, just for you I’ll post it on the Raising Olives Facebook page right now! :)

6. Dawn@OneFaithfulMom
    May 2, 2011 | 2:08 pm

Oh goodness, I just brought 2 jackets in from our yard the other day that have been out there for weeks!! My daughter JUST missed getting “hit” by a bird last week…she happened to bend over at the precise moment, and she saw it hit the ground right in front of her!
    No marker murals…but everyone has written their name either in their closet or on their bed somewhere. Oh, and we have a permanent tic-tac-toe game scratched into a bunk bed by a certain someone.
    Once all my kdis get big enough to stop doing these things, I’ll have grandchildren!!!! Surely they will be perfect though…right???

7. Michelle
    May 2, 2011 | 2:59 pm

Goodness gracious, Kimberly! SOCKS in the yard? Why, that NEVER happens at our house… Nope, not me either. ;-)

8. Ruth Adams
    May 2, 2011 | 3:10 pm

These posts always make me smile. :)

9. MomStarr
    May 2, 2011 | 4:35 pm

I am glad that it’s not just my little boys fascinated with nail polish. It is very unnerving to their father. Socks…oh my, where don’t I find socks!! Everywhere BUT on people’s feet!

10. Chiree
    May 2, 2011 | 5:41 pm

Thank you! I really needed a laugh today. =)

11. Maria
    May 2, 2011 | 7:28 pm

I laughed out loud at the sock! Not only do I find my children’s but my neighbor’s children! One afternoon I held up a grown man’s sock only to have my daughter reply with a wave of her hand, “Oh, that’s Gwen’s (her friend) dad’s sock…” Like it was completely normal that Gwen’s dad’s sock should be in our grass!

…and the earring, well, they probably thought you were “hip.” (though it’s probably not hip to say hip.)

12. Lois J
    May 2, 2011 | 7:56 pm

I love it….I needed this to brighten my day and make me realize again that my children ARE normal! :) I could relate with everything you wrote, albeit not always the exact scenario….but versions of them! Isn’t life great….wasn’t it you that said…”It’s the Process!!??” :) We’ve started saying that now, also!

13. Valerie
    May 2, 2011 | 9:24 pm

If I saw a sweet mother of many little ones at the store with one earring in, I would laugh so hard and then hug her! That’s so cute!

14. Alina Joy
    May 2, 2011 | 11:17 pm

I’ve only had birdie doo-doo land on my head once in my life… but it was on my wedding day! What’s funny is that I had read that it used to be considered Good Luck for that to happen to the bride on her wedding day. So I guess I’m a lucky lady! lol! =)

15. Thanks for keeping-it-real!

16. Mary
    May 6, 2011 | 10:25 am

Hehehehe- funny stuff. None of that would ever happen here either.

Mary