Interview with Kim Brenneman, Author of Large Family Logistics

moms of many manageThis week the 4 Moms are excited to welcome Kim Brenneman, author of Large Family Logistics the book and the blog. (There is a promo code for 40% off the book at Vision Forum at the bottom of this post.)

Kim has graciously agreed to answer questions despite a cheese room emergency (did you know that Kim’s family runs a dairy?) and some less than organized moms of many who left specific planning for this interview until the last minute (OK, we gave her a few hours, but still…)

Have questions of your own? Kim will be answering questions left in the comment section.

Here are some of the questions and Kim’s answers:

Are you naturally organized, or has it been a learning process for you?

I would have to ask my mother that but I really think that I learned organization. I learned organization and home skills from books and that was very motivating to me. I loved to read a chapter and then go apply what I learned. Emily Barnes was my favorite author for home management and Elisabeth Eliot for attitude.

What would be your first piece of advice to a mom struggling for order?

Pray. Cry out to God for help. Pray all the time. Talk to God like He’s your friend right there beside you because He is. Then fix your health. Cut out the sugar and eat whole foods, drink water. Teach your children to obey. Get Ted Tripp’s book Shepherding a Child’s Heart. There are other good parenting books out there of course. Get one. Study what the Bible says about parenting and children. Read Psalms and Proverbs to your children every day. That’s for your spiritual health as well as the children’s. Then put your home in order: Food, kitchen, bathrooms, floors. Then declutter one room at a time. Our stuff gets in the way. We don’t own things, our things own us.

I love that Kim recommends the same parenting book we recommend. Shepherding a Child’s Heart is the only man-authored parenting book that Mark and I will recommend to others. We believe that it takes the principles found in the Word of God and explains them for our culture.

If you’re interested in decluttering, I’m currently working on a series of posts on simplifying.

What’s your best advice for mom of many littles?

Enjoy each day with them. They go so fast. Don’t get so busy that you aren’t playing with your children. Read to them. Read the Bible to them every day. Get down on the floor and play with them. Include them in your work. Make your work fun for them to do with you. Little children just want to be with you—keep them by your side and enjoy them. Teach them to love Jesus in the small moments of each day.

More info for moms of littles:

Going out with lots of littles
Cooking with littles
Homeschooling with littles
Church with littles
Chores for littles

For the rest of this interview visit:

Large Family Logisitcs
Smockity Frocks
Life in a Shoe
The Common Room

Have a question that you wished we asked? Well, now’s your chance. Kim Brenneman will be answering questions that you leave in the comment section.

Be sure to join us starting next week as  5 Moms of Many (thank you to Kim Brenneman for joining us) blog through Large Family Logistics. We will include a linky each week so that if you have a blog and would like to join our blog through you may link up your post.

Here is theschedule:

• August 4 - part 1: foundations and methods
  • August 11 - part 2 (chapters 18-27: planning your week)
  • August 18 -  part 2b (chapters 28-47: the nitty gritty details)
  • August 25 - appendices

For 40% off Large Family Logistics at Vision Forum, use the promo code 4MOMS at checkout.

For more Moms of Many posts visit the 4 Moms page.

Facebook17Pinterest0EmailTwitter4

12 Responses to Interview with Kim Brenneman, Author of Large Family Logistics
  1. [...] started here at Raising Olives and don't forget to read the comments as Kim will try to answer the questions asked there too. [...]

2. Christine L.
    July 28, 2011 | 1:20 pm

I was wondering if there was a certain number child that when he/she came along, it turned out to be a game changer for your current method of planning, scheduling, etc. We’re expecting #7 and I wasn’t sure if what I have in place would “cut the mustard”. Are there certain tools/routines that I absolutely must consider in order to keep the family running smoothly? (I hope this question isn’t too broad). Thanks!!

Kim Brenneman Reply:

I think it depends on the baby, the other children, and other life events. Looking back… #3 was a game changer (that was three children under the age of four), #7 for some reason, she was an easy baby but it might have been the two children above her (they were two and three and were always into the same trouble), and #9 (preemie plus two high school boys). Starting our goat dairy and cheesemaking was another game changer. I’m sure there were more throughout the years. Life is like a river, changing course through the seasons and years. The key is flexibility and not sweating the small stuff. God has a plan that you can’t see. :)

3. Ashlie Miller
    July 28, 2011 | 2:17 pm

Oh, wow! I love how God brings good books to you and confirms His path through other like-minded people. We read “Shepherding” last year as God started really guiding our training and then “Large Family” this year! BOTH these books “found” us and our lives have become so much richer! SO cool to see both these books in the same blog entry :)

4. Elena Marshall
    July 28, 2011 | 4:17 pm

Kim, what would you say to a mother of 8 that feels like “it’s too late” for training some of the children because they are already in high school/college? How does the mother of a large family find a mentor mom/accountability mom of another large family?
    Thank you for sharing! May God continue to bless you and your family!

Kim Brenneman Reply:

Oooh, that’s a good one. I’d love to hear some older moms respond to it. None of us are perfect nor will we parent perfectly. And in addition to that, God has a specific plan for each of us and for each of our children. Our younger children are growing up in a different home than the older ones did. I don’t think it’s ever “too late” for our children. We can still converse with them. We can still say, “I’m sorry.” “We screwed up.” “What we’ve learned through the years is _________.” And we can pray. Sometimes that’s the only thing we can do.
    I’ve found my mentors at church. And through online groups and blog writers.
    I ran into an older mom that I went to church with years ago. She gave me this nugget in our short conversation about older children/adult children.
    “How does ______ fit with your worldview?”
    “Everything centers around a person’s worldview.”
    Keep the conversation flowing. What is the child’s “love language” and speak that to that child. Make eye contact and smile just like you do with your little children. Pray pray pray.

5. Mystie
    July 28, 2011 | 6:45 pm

Just subscribing… :)

6. Karyn
    July 29, 2011 | 1:30 pm

Hi Kimberly
    I have been meaning to leave comments on your blog many times before this but I have one of those tiny internet tablets that I read on while lying in bed with my little ones – and I so often follow all your wonderful links clicking before getting to the end of a post sometimes and forgetting about leaving a comment! Your blog has been such a huge blessing to me. Its one of those blogs that I’ve wanted to read from start to finish to get a full picture of how you guys do things as there are so many similarities in our values and our goals and you have so many wonderful practical ideas. Your family is beautiful and I so appreciate your giving hearts. THANKS! with love, Karyn

7. Elizabeth
    July 29, 2011 | 9:43 pm

Subscribing to comments…thanks!

8. amanda
    July 31, 2011 | 1:18 am

Hi! I love your blog and read it often…I am really enjoying it a lot! Anyway…I am doing a tomato recipe link up at my blog–it’s my first one! Would you come visit? Thanks!

9. Kellie
    August 18, 2011 | 4:05 pm

I just wanted to tell you I love your blog. I just started reading it and find myself here often. My husband and I each have 3 children from a previous marriage, 2 do not live with us (mine) but visit on the weekends. we’ve only been together a year and a half and just married July 13th. I feel like I have a large family, atleast in compared to what I’m used to. With school about to start i’m searching for ways to manage hot meals, school, homework as well as my nightime job and my husband works 14 hour days. I just wanted to tell you thank you and you do an amazing job. I look forward to learning more from you.

10. Natasja