Freezer Recipes for OAMC: Part 2 (Winter Menu)

Having a large family has taught me efficiency. One of my best ‘efficiency’ tips is to cook for your freezer.

Bulk freezer cooking saves us money by allowing us to get discounted prices by purchasing in bulk (we purchase all of our meat by the case). It saves us time by enabling us to get dinner for 12 on the table in less than 30 minutes and eliminates much of the clean up because there are no extra pots and pans to wash. It also enables us to take a freezer meal over to someone who needs it on a moments notice.

We generally freezer cook with a group once every two months.  But anyone can cook for their freezer with just a little planning.

Here are some of the recipes that we prepared last fall. In the winter we tend to plan more soups and stews, in the summer more grilling meals.

Chicken Divan

2 pkg chopped broccoli
2 lb chicken raw
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
8 oz cheddar cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp curry

Cook day:

Mix up sauce. Then in 9×13 layer chicken, then sauce and top with cheese.

Serve day:
Thaw. Cook at 350 for one hour. Serve over rice.

Chicken Tortellini Soup

2 lb cooked and chopped chicken
1 gal chicken broth
3 each carrots sliced
3 each celery stalks sliced
0.5 onion fresh onion
2 TB minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp pepper
0.5 tsp cumin
0.25 tsp cilantro
0.25 can rotel
1 each tomato diced
0.5 pint half n half (original recipe calls for heavy cream)
1 can corn
2 bag tortellini noodle
8 oz monterey or cheddar cheese

This is one of our favorites.
Cook day:
Dump ingredients** except tortellini and cheese into container and freeze. **We put in very concentrated chicken broth, but much less than a gallon. This makes it easier to freeze. Then on serve day we added water.

Serve day:
Add water (see cook day instructions) and cook on stove top until veggies are done. Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions. Top with cheese.

Chicken Pot Pie

3 can cream of potato
2 lb chicken cook
1 TB minced onion
0.25 tsp pepper
1 bag frozen mix veg
0.5 cup milk
0.5 big bags frozen peas

Cook day:

Dump ingredients into freezer bag.

Serve day:

Thaw. Mix and add milk until creamy. Place in cooking dish and top with biscuit dough (I know you really should top with a pie crust, but we like it with biscuit topping and it makes the meal go much farther.) Cook at 350 until biscuits are done and center is heated.

Mimi’s Chicken Soup

1 lb cooked and chopped chicken
48 oz chick broth
1 onion fresh onion chopped
1 tsp salt
1 TB parsley
1 can carrots
0.1 bunch celery
5 oz egg noodles

Cook day:

Dump ingredients except egg noodles  into container and freeze. Consider adding more concentrated chicken broth in a smaller quantity and then adding water on serve day.

Serve day:

Bring to a simmer and cook until veggies are done. Add salt to taste. Add egg noodles and cook (we generally increase the liquid and add brown rice) until done.

Taco Chicken Casserole

2 lb chicken cooked and chopped
1.5 oz taco seasoning
1 can black beans
1 can corn sweet
0.5 cup salsa
8 oz cheddar cheese
1 bag tortilla chips

Cook day:

Dump ingredients except for chips and cheese into container and freeze.

Serve day:

Thaw. Place in cooking dish. Top with chips and cheese and bake at 350 until heated through and cheese melts.

Teriyaki Chicken

4 oz soy sauce
0.5 cup sugar
1.25 TB red wine Vinegar
2 tsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic
0.75 tsp ginger
3 lb chicken raw
0.5 cup water

Cook day:

Place chicken in container and top with remaining ingredients.

Serve day:

Grill or bake chicken. Save broth for rice.

More information on once-a-month-cooking:

How to cook for your freezer with a group

Freezer OAMC Recipes: Part 1 (Winter menu)

Freezer Recipes : Part 3 (Winter menu) **Link won’t work until next week.

Freezer OAMC Recipes: Beef collection

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest22Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

15 Responses to Freezer Recipes for OAMC: Part 2 (Winter Menu)
  1. Diana
    September 9, 2011 | 10:17 am

The link to the Taco seasoning kept coming up “error”? Can you repost?

Hi Diana,

Sorry about that. It’s because, although I have the post mostly written, I haven’t actually posted it yet. 🙂

Hopefully soon.

2. Homesweetgrown
    September 9, 2011 | 10:39 am

Where do you purchase your meat by the case? I know that the price of meat will range widely based on the region that one lives in, but about how much per lb are you saving on your meat by buying it in a case?

Also, did you do OAMC when you had all littles?

Great questions!

We purchase our meat by the case from Sam’s and save between $.50-$1.50 per pound.

I did OAMC sporadically when we had all littles, but I didn’t bulk cook while pregnant until Nick and Bella (our two youngest).

Cooking with a group like we do now is much easier than OAMC by yourself, MUCH easier.

BrandyKnopp Reply:

That’s just what I came to comment about — how feasible is this alone and with littles? I would love to do OAMC, but for now it would just be me, and with four littles running around, I know it is doable, but will be challenging.

BrandyKnopp Reply:

PS – What I usually end up doing right now is making double when I am making dinner so that I will have some put up for another time. But I can’t seem to pull it all together to try to get it done on one day.

3. Kim @ What's That Smell?
    September 9, 2011 | 10:21 pm

I need to get better at preparing meals ahead of time and freezing them, especially during football season. My son practices so often in the evenings it is near impossible to make dinner each day.

Some of these recipes sound really good.

4. MomStarr
    September 10, 2011 | 8:39 am

For the chicken tortellini recipe: could you just leave out the chicken broth until serve day? Just freeze all the dry ingredients and add the broth when ready to cook/serve?

where do you get your chicken? And Do you always buy boneless skinless or do you find whole chickens cut up are a better deal? (de-boning them yourself during the cooking process)

For the chicken tortellini we add VERY concentrated chicken broth and then when we’re ready to serve we add water as desired. I’m thinking that having some of that fluid in there may help the veggies freeze better.??

we purchase our chicken, by the case, from Sam’s. We always buy boneless skinless (if I were in charge we would probably try to make more use of the bones in broth, etc., but I love having all the help, so that won’t happen soon. 🙂 ). Generally we’re doing around 100-120 pounds of cooked chicken and more that goes into the recipes raw, de-boning that much chicken is just so very labor intensive that, for now, we’re happy to buy the boneless skinless.

5. Dare
    September 10, 2011 | 8:41 am

I really like your idea and your recipes! My mom used to make chicken divan. It makes me think of her.

What do you do about the pans? I bought some foil pans, but they are so difficult to really get clean without damaging them (I need to wash my dishes by hand), and I end up using them only once or maybe twice. It seems wasteful. You don’t buy a lot of real pans, do you?

I think I posted in more detail about containers in my post about how everything works, but basically we freeze nearly everything in freezer bags.

We own about 4 9×13 pans and we use those for ‘layering’ recipes like lasagna, enchiladas or the chicken divan. Everything else is put into freezer bags. We generally don’t need much more than 4 of the pans, but when we do I use the foil pans. Meals in a foil pan are particularly nice to take to someone who has need of a meal.

6. Julie
    September 10, 2011 | 11:56 am

Thank you so much for these recipes! They are nutritious but not too expensive! With me working, my husband has to do dinner 3 nights a week, with these meals he can have a great meal with little work! I will link these to a post on my blog as well if you don’t mind!

7. Claudia
    September 10, 2011 | 6:55 pm

How many do these serve?

sorry not to include that in the post. I would say these serve about 8. We generally add a good amount of sides and often rice or potatoes and most of them work for our family of 12.

8. Misty - Broomsticksandbananasplits.com
    September 12, 2011 | 2:29 pm

I love, love, love that you posted this! I have thought about freezing meals, but didn’t really know how to go about doing it. This is great! I wouldn’t have ever thought to just make a day of it, but that’s a great idea! Thank you for posting this!