Not Me: Bella and Dryer Woes

“Not Me” – Confessing some of my (or my family’s)  faults, failings and quirks by denying them.

When our dryer went out, we knew that we would simply purchase a new one, especially since we get a lot of rain and we’re heading into the cold months.

With 12 people in the house, there is absolutely no way  that we would decide to go without a dryer for a while and try this system instead.

(We do have a great deck that actually gets sunshine when the leaves are off the trees for outside drying on non-rainy days during the winter.)

We did not head to the State Championship Cross Country Meet (an all day affair) without a change of clothes for Bella. And when I changed Bella’s diaper shortly after arriving, she did not proceed to urinate all over the blanket (not ours) she was laying on and soak her shirt.

We do not take flash pictures of our light sleepers, because we know better.

Since we have a lot of experience with small children and pens, we take special pains to keep pens out of reach. So if one year old Bella found and ate an ink pen we would certainly not take pictures and treat her like a star.

We would certainly not take so many pictures that little miss center-of-attention would get embarrassed.

When we packed clothes to go on a hike after church we did not pack one of the 8 year old’s shirts for Isabella (1), and we certainly would not make her wear a shirt that was 7 sizes too big.

Does your life read like Murphy’s Law book? ‘fess up and tell us what didn’t happen to you this week?

Share on Facebook18Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter3

24 Responses to Not Me: Bella and Dryer Woes
  1. Lisa
    October 24, 2011 | 9:15 am

I did not mix my colors with my whites while covering them in a prayer, I did not forget to pick up dog food AGAIN and feed my dogs peanut butter sandwiches instead, I did not sit and absentmindedly pet one of our dogs while asking the kids where she was. Thanks for the post. We SO get it! :)

2. Annie
    October 24, 2011 | 9:25 am

Oh we have had our share of eaten pens and markers in fact, I have gone to use a dry erase marker only to realize it was sucked dry!

3. Heidi
    October 24, 2011 | 9:45 am

I did not insist (a couple times) that I had mailed a check to a friend only to find out later that I had not even written said check…

4. Renee
    October 24, 2011 | 10:13 am

Love post like this, makes me smile, and know that our family is fun, and so is yours :-)

5. Ella
    October 24, 2011 | 11:28 am

I do not have clothesline permanently strung up in my sun room/playroom because it gets so nice and warm in there that it seems like a shame to waste all that free energy. My children do not have to duck under drying clothes as they play, even though my dryer isn’t even broken.

6. Marijo Taverne
    October 24, 2011 | 1:02 pm

We do not regularly show up at church with a two-year-old sans shoes.

Ah yes, the showing up at a destination without shoes….sigh. I can NOT relate.

7. Heather
    October 24, 2011 | 2:06 pm

I did not feed my kids apple crisp for lunch. My six year old did not ask, “Mom, how is this lunch?” and my husband did not pop in at home and surprise us by being home for lunch. My husband did not scarf down two dessert sized plates full of apple crisp for lunch. Haha!

Ahem, Chocolate Molten Cake has that distinction here at the Olive home. Great minds think alike.

8. Cindy Watson
    October 24, 2011 | 3:15 pm

I did not make sharpies an adult only tool and hide them for years until my youngest was 12….actually her 17yo brother is the worst and I still hide them close to play season as I don’t enjoy explaining to the director why he needs very THICK make-up.

9. Alice
    October 24, 2011 | 6:05 pm

Pregnant, so no idea what happened 10 minutes ago, and thus can’t think what did or didn’t happen at any point either recent or distant, BUT I had to comment to say how absolutely adorable your little Bella is!! Ahhh, she’s precious! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! Praying that all goes well with #6. God is so very good.

Thank you, we think Bella’s pretty adorable too, but we know we’re biased.

Amy Reply:

Love this! I was doing the same thing, and completely blank.. in my 8th month with #9 so very few brain cells operating :)
    Love the post, in a couple of hours I might get a thought.

10. Monique
    October 24, 2011 | 10:47 pm

What I wouldn’t give to fall asleep the way your son does!

11. Susan
    October 25, 2011 | 3:25 pm

I did not sit in the bleachers at Bays Mountain, watching the wolves, and ask where Owen (my youngest) was, since he was on the bench directly in front of me. Nor do I do this sort of thing regularly.

12. cassie
    October 25, 2011 | 4:02 pm

I did NOT feed my youngest two breakfast in my bed allowing crumbs and oatmeal all over the place so i could steal another hour of sleep.

I did NOT tell my son that santa doesnt make computers lol

And i absolutely would never send a text message telling my wonderful husband who is gone for weeks at a time EXACTLY how much i …miss…him and accidentally send it to my in laws. Nope not here.

13. Not Me, Nope
    October 25, 2011 | 10:21 pm

I did NOT let my 20 month old sleep in his Sunday clothes on Sunday night and let him wear them all day on Monday too!

I did NOT eat a PB&J sandwich off the floor because I was too tired to make myself another (and was probably nursing a baby at same time too)

I do NOT periodically pretend I did not see my toddler pick that piece of food up off the floor and eat it. (good for the immune system, right?)

Melissa Reply:

ALL THE TIME!

My son wears his clothes way to long sometimes, I dropped pizza dough on the floor/door mat/shoes and ALMOST used it anyway without telling anyone, and my 1 year old finds stuff to eat on the floor all the time! Mostly Cheerios and yesterday’s French fries so it’s all good.

14. Not Me, Nope
    October 25, 2011 | 10:23 pm

I also do NOT hold my 3 month old (#4) and sigh, hoping that we will be able to have another…. (high blood pressure)

15. Kirsten
    October 26, 2011 | 4:58 pm

I do not let my youngest kids sleep in their church clothes on Saturday nights in an effort to be on time to church on Sunday morning.

I do not allow my kids to slurp their spilled raw milk off the table because it is so expensive I cannot stand to waste a single drop.

I do not think the benefit of expended energy greatly outweighs the limitless possible injuries when all my kids jump like crazy on the big old trampoline our neighbors to gave us when they moved into an apartment last month.

16. Millie
    October 26, 2011 | 7:04 pm

We did NOT forget to take our sweet 6yr old son back home to IN until our 13 yr old dd said “Why don’t we take roll for fun and we decided to humor her and do so, only then realizing that we were one short….. I was NOT paniced and rushed back to get him from my sisters house in OH… and he wasn’t locked inside by himself, standing at the door…. Thankfully, we had just left her home..

17. Elizabeth
    October 26, 2011 | 10:29 pm

I did NOT spend my evening on the couch and have my 14 yo bake pizzas so I could be lazy and read every single ‘Not Me’ post on this blog. I was NOT relishing in the mishaps discussed in the ‘Not Me’ posts relieved that I was not the only one who had moments like these. My soul was not blessed and refreshed by the honesty and hilarity! I am NOT hoping these posts will be continued on a regular basis.

18. Rebekah
    November 2, 2011 | 12:34 pm

I did NOT tie myself *inside* a ranch’s gates while my husband waited for me in the vehicle on the other side. :)

19. elizabeth
    November 8, 2011 | 2:24 pm

did the limit on the amount of clothes you keep for each person scare you when the dryer went out? i would love to limit clothes more but am afraid of something like a dryer going out or clothes ruining, etc.