December Challenge: Showing Christ’s Love

Nearly a month ago I read about how Kristina celebrated her 38th birthday by spending the day demonstrating 38 random acts of love to others. She did things like passing out Panera cookies to strangers, writing  notes and passing out treats to teachers, mailmen, firemen and paying for a stranger’s groceries. She did this in the name of Jesus who loved us so much that He gave His life for us.

This idea combined with our annual tradition of an event advent calendar is our family’s challenge for this December.

(An event advent calendar is where each day in December we ‘celebrate’ by participating in a special event. It may be something as simple as reading Luke 2 while sipping hot cocoa or watching “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas’ or it may be bigger like making goodies for some friends and neighbors and spending the evening Christmas caroling and delivering them.)

Since December is the time of year when we traditionally celebrate the most significant gift ever given, this year we are going to strive to reflect that in our choices for the events to include on our advent calendar. Our activities this year will be designed to demonstrate Jesus’ love to friends, neighbors and strangers.

We’ve printed out a calendar of December and have assigned each child a couple of dates (10 children, 24 days until Christmas = each child gets 2 days with a few left over for the older children to split)

Each child will pick and plan (according to their ability) the blessing activity that we will do on their date. Additionally, they are the ones who will communicate why we are doing what we are doing to those who wonder.

We’re aiming for a mix of simple and more involved activities.

Some ideas so far are:

• writing letters and drawing pictures to send to their great-grandmother and some other lovely women who will appreciate them
  • passing out handmade ornaments and/or goodies to our neighbors
  • making and delivering dinner to some friends who will find it useful
  • going to a local grocery and spending the afternoon offering to help carry groceries to the car
  • visiting a nursing home
  • making and sending packages to our servicemen overseas
  • action packs for VOM

Will you join our December challenge?

What ideas do you have for blessing others during this holiday season?

Facebook33Pinterest0EmailTwitter3

11 Responses to December Challenge: Showing Christ’s Love
  1. Carmen @ Natural and Nourished Family
    November 29, 2011 | 7:49 am

I love this idea! My family will definitely be doing this. Thanks for sharing.

2. Shanda Oakley
    November 29, 2011 | 8:35 am

My children are all in college but I miss all the things we used to do: birthday parties for Jesus and inviting all their friends, choosing gifts for the less fortunate etc. Enjoy these times.

3. Amy @ Raising Arrows
    November 29, 2011 | 9:42 am

YES! Love this idea, Kimberly!

4. Kristi
    November 29, 2011 | 12:54 pm

So this is what about 400 people are doing on the Southern Oregon Coast.
    It is amazing to see Gods glory in all forms.

5. Julianne
    November 29, 2011 | 3:10 pm

What a great idea! Some things our family is doing this holiday season are make homemade advent wreaths, serve a meal at a local rehab center, deliver christmas presents for angel tree ministry and go caroling in a nursery home

6. Kim Dolan
    November 29, 2011 | 11:57 pm

We can’t wait to make Christmas cards for great-grandpa and the elderly and widows of our church. We will personally deliver them and spend time sharing stories and listening to the stories they share!

7. Large family small world
    November 30, 2011 | 8:52 am

What a great idea! I’ll have to talk to my husband about this one.
    We just moved so as a way to meet the neighbors and reach out we are making up little gift baskets (peppermint themed) and candy canes with the legend of the candy cane on them.

8. RG
    December 2, 2011 | 11:24 am

I am not a very creative person, and I am so thankful God has put wise women in my life to help things occur to me. Do you think you will be posting a PDF of your complete list at some point to help those of us who need inspiration? Thanks.

This is a great idea. We have most of our ideas on the calendar, but it’s all in pencil as life happens and we move events to the days where they will fit better into our life.

This is on my to-do list.

9. Grateful for Grace
    December 6, 2011 | 1:34 am

I appreciate your sharing and getting this idea rolling in my head! We started today!

I’m so excited about our month!

I love what you did. Thank you for the link!

I’d love to hear more about your experience.

Our family has certainly received more blessing than we’ve given; pressed down, measured out and overflowing. We’ve been blessed by the reactions of people we’ve chosen to bless, but God has poured out blessing on us from several other sources. I don’t know why I’m always surprised at God’s goodness, but I am.