My God and My Unbelief

My God blessed a 100 year old man and 90 year old, barren woman with a baby.

My God devastated the most powerful nation in the world in order to save HIS enslaved people. (Exodus)

My God caused an entire army to flee a siege encampment leaving behind all their wealth, horses and certain victory by causing them to ‘hear’ something that wasn’t even there. (2 Kings 6-7)

My God used 300 men, shouting and some torches to defeat the “Midianites and the Amalekites and all the people of the East lay along the valley like locusts in abundance, and their camels were without number, as the sand that is on the seashore in abundance”. (Judges 7)

My God healed the sick, caused the lame to walk, the blind to see and the dead to rise.

I know:

He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5)

(He) is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, (Ephesians 3:20)

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9)

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty (1 Cor. 1:27)

And me?

I think it’s up to me.

I worry that He might give me more than He will equip me to handle.

I think that what I’m asking is too big.

I don’t know how I will do it all.

I fear that my failures are too big.

I’m surprised by His blessing.

I’m tired.

I’m discourage.

And each time I remember and I pray,

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

What do you think, worry or fear and what helps you remember the truth?

Share on Facebook33Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

15 Responses to My God and My Unbelief
  1. Brit @MomAnswersWithBrit.com
    November 22, 2011 | 9:12 am

Wow, what a great a timely post! It amazed me how God puts things like this in our life at certain times. 🙂

I’ve been struggling A LOT with fear and worry. I’m struggling with contentment with having to work and be the only provider right now (as my husband was without a job for over a year).

However, my husband just opened a coffee/ice cream shop and we are praying that God will provide for our household through this business. It’s only been open for a month, but it’s not doing as good as we hoped. I know it’s just the beginning, but it’s SOOO hard to not worry and be scared as I feel like this is the only hope for me to stay home, and I’m expecting our third child.

I’ve been working on ways to stay content and focused on God through this difficult time.

I pray on my way to work, I read daily devotions. I sa “I can do all thing through Chirst who gives me stregnth.” and I try to contastly remind myself that God has a plan for us, even if it’s not clear to us.

Something else is whenever I start worrying and feeling anxiety I try to stop and think of Biblical truths. I finally realized that worrying about the future isn’t going to get us anywhere and just make me more upset, but praying about the future can get us somewhere.

Great post!

2. Jenny
    November 22, 2011 | 10:23 am

The perfect post! Thanks for this! Happy Thanksgiving to your wonderful family 😀

3. Darlene
    November 22, 2011 | 11:37 am

Can I share this on my blog? I love it! It’s exactly where I am right now, and I needed the reminder.

4. Kati
    November 22, 2011 | 2:10 pm

I fear that I will never be physically healed in this life. I fear that if I trust God with my chronically sick body, already too weak heart, he will cause another pregnancy. I fear that it will happen again: I won’t be able to take care of my own baby again for his/her first few years. I fear that my heart will break again because of this. I fear that my children will be cheated out of having their mother care for them and teach them. I fear that my husband will never get a “happy season” with his wife. I fear that my husband will never get a full time job with benefits in a place I can be healthy.

I want to stand on the truth, that in Christ I have authority over fear. The truth that God cares more for my child(ren) more than I do. That marriage is meant to make us holy, not happy. That children are always a blessing. The truth that God is the one who makes them grow, whether their mother is confined to a bed their whole life or not. The truth that his love is enough for them, even if not experienced enough through me. The truth that he can teach them, even if they have to attend public school. The truth that if I am disabled, I can at least pray. And if I can’t pray, God still loves.

5. Katherine Grace
    November 22, 2011 | 3:51 pm

@ Kati,

YOU are amazing and a very godly woman!! You have wisdom beyond years and may God bless you for that! I see your great trust in your God! In His love and His truth, no matter what the circumstance!! I will be praying for you! Thank you for showing ME what a godly woman and her great trust in our God looks like…no matter what life brings!!! Thank you!!!! ♥

Kati Reply:

Katherine Grace, Thanks for your prayers, whoever you are! I’m glad I can encourage someone out there.

6. Katherine Grace
    November 22, 2011 | 3:53 pm

And Kimberly, THANK YOU for such an AWESOME post!!! I truly needed THIS reminder of our GREAT GOD!!! THANK YOU!! 🙂 I always love your posts!!! ♥

7. Rachel
    November 22, 2011 | 3:53 pm

I fear the unknown. If the Lord allows, my husband will finish seminary in 1.5 years. He believes God is calling him to the mission field and while I am excited I am also scared to death.
    I have taught my children to pray and remember the words of Psalm 56:3 (“What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.”) and Isaiah 43:5 (“Fear not, for I am with thee.”)when they are afraid. Those verses are good for their Mama as well.

8. Mandi
    November 22, 2011 | 5:17 pm

Thank you for this post. I am just tired right now on so many levels. This post was a great reminder.

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

9. Kallie
    November 22, 2011 | 6:18 pm

Thanks for the post, Kimberly. We are infertile, hoping to adopt, and frustrated with how ling it’s taking us to save up enough money to get started. In the darkest moments I wonder if God even cares because it is so difficult and painful to be childless. “I believe, Lord, help my unbelief!”

10. Desiree
    November 23, 2011 | 2:27 am

Wow, thanks.

I fear the future. My husband is still establishing his career – and I fear we’ll never get beyond that, that we will never be established enough to own our home or know where we plan to live year to year.

Psalm 103:11-18 is a great comfort and help to me…it’s too long to quote out here, but it is really a wonderful balm to the worrier. 🙂

11. Tania @ Larger Family Life
    November 23, 2011 | 7:33 am

I’m the same. We seem to forget how tiny and small we are and how great He is until every now and then I get a sharp reminder.

12. Gabe
    November 23, 2011 | 8:01 am

Thanks for the wonderful post and great reminders!
    I tend to slip into dwelling on things I have no control over. This seems to happen when I’m already tired, grumpy, or coming down with something. I’m learning to take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5). To stop and pray instead and begin to dwell on His word.
    I like having verses up through out house as reminders. We just moved into this house though and I’m still needing to get those verses up!

13. Hannah H
    November 23, 2011 | 1:03 pm

I NEEDED to hear this, my husband and I have been blessed with 2 wonderful daughters but also experienced a miscarriage in between. I am 6 weeks pregnant right now and I am struggling with not being eatin up with worry and anxiety. My wonderful husband has been turning me to scripture but its so easy to forget who God is and be ‘in the flesh’ and not the spirit.

14. Shannon
    November 23, 2011 | 3:23 pm

Like all of you I pray. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS) sorry if this is TMI, and I have had this condition that is controlled by both diet and stress, since before I was 20, and officially diagnosed before even getting pregnant for the first time in my early 20’s.
    It is only thru prayer that I have come to let go of stress and worry.
    I have had some tough years, and might still in the future, but the bible does tell us that tomorrow must take care of itself.
    Sometimes our frailities are reminders that we are not in control, He is