Colby Tales

Colby is five and Colby is just one of those children. He keeps us on our toes and always laughing.

Remember when he pulled this amazing whopper?  and these fun Wordless posts;  here and here and here ?

If you look through the ‘not me’ archives, you’ll see that he’s well represented.

Here is my latest collection of Colby stories:

Colby loves trains and Colby especially loves the train at Dollywood. So when Colby found out that we were going to spend the day at Dollywood with some friends, he got to work creating a drawing for the ‘train driver’.

As we arrived at the park Colby asked, “Are we going to ride the train, now?” “No, we’re going to head to the big kid rides first. Would you like me to hold your picture?” “No, I want to hold it.” And hold it he did. He held it while the big kids rode the big kid rides. He held it while he played on the playground. He held it as we walked around the park. He held it as we headed out to the cars for lunch and he held it during lunch. After six hours of holding onto his drawing, we headed to the train where he proudly gave it to the ‘train driver’ and got his opportunity to ride the train.

Currently for family fun night each Friday we make and eat Mexican food; homemade tortillas , homemade salsa and a variety of fresh fillings and toppings along with lots of cheese. At one recent family fun night dinner Colby said, “Please pass the broccoli moldy.” (That’d be guacamole, for those less fluent in five-ese.)

{We have an OREK vacuum cleaner.} During his reading lesson Colby reads the word “or” and says, “That’s just like orcs, mom.” He thinks for just a minute then adds,  “Hey mom, that’s the man who fixes our vacuum.”

On Thanksgiving morning Colby was helping me get the turkey into the oven. “Mom, when the turkey starts squeaking, does that mean it’s done?”

A few weeks ago I ran a 5K  with Amber (15). It was the first time I’d raced in a 5K  since I was a teen, but Colby had big plans for me. Before the race he was telling me how he was praying that I would win or at least beat Amber.

Me: “Will you still be proud of mommy, even if Amber beats me?”

Colby: “Weeellll….(he pauses to think for a moment)….. probably not.”

Colby walks into the kitchen, “Wow mom, a plum is an angiosperm, it makes a container for it’s seeds.”

A few days later, Colby digs a sunflower seed out of his bagel and says, “Mom, a bagel is an angiosperm.”

Do you have a Colby in your house? What has he/she been up to recently?

Share on Facebook2Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

8 Responses to Colby Tales
  1. Marla
    December 7, 2011 | 8:10 am

I have a Colby. Her name is Caroline and she is also five. My two recent favorites are:

The other day she and her two year old brother were playing house. She was getting a little exasperated with him for not following her “script” and finally said, “Micah, just improvise!”

And then two days ago I took her along on the walk down our long driveway to the mailbox and she chattered the whole way about the birds that were flying overhead: “Most of the birds you see this time of year are migrating, etc.” Then, after a few moments of quiet contemplation says, “You know Mom, birds are the EYE IN THE SKY.”

I love the way she makes us stop and look at everything a little differently. We also laugh a lot more since she came along. My older kids have observed that as well!

2. The Momma@The Straightened Path
    December 7, 2011 | 8:27 am

What a cutie! My “Colby” is only 2. He was found recently putting my checkbook into the toaster oven with a big smile on his face.

3. Amy Clark
    December 7, 2011 | 9:08 pm

My “Colby” is actually an Aiden. His recent incidents include collecting “entrance fees” outside our church building while I was busy with a dinner (my husband is the pastor), and hanging all of his clothes (including underwear) on the clothesline when he got wet BEFORE coming in to get a new change of clothing.

4. Dawn@OneFaithfulMom
    December 7, 2011 | 10:46 pm

My 4 year old Jake told his Daddy after our church service this evening that he sang the “magdafied” song in church. Of course, in grown up talk that would be magnified, but I like his version much much better!

He also asked me the other day if Bing Crosby was a real person. When I answered yes, he said, “Den , how come I never seed him before?” I said, “Because he died.” He then said, “Oh no! What happened?” LOL!!

We crack up laughing at him all day every day.

5. jacqui hodges
    December 8, 2011 | 7:32 pm

I hava a Lijah. He is a bundle of enthusiasm. He keeps me very busy. He has really large vocabulary. Most of the time he uses words in context, but I recently heard him say “I really need a tennis shoe.” I said “Why?” His response…”To blow my nose.” Tennis shoe/tissue. I guess it sounds the same to a 3 year old. Lol!

6. Keeslermom
    December 8, 2011 | 10:00 pm

Mine is named Mac. He and Colby would get along just fine! But two “Macs” in the same place could cause earth wide carnage, so we’ll stay FAR, far away!

7. Marla
    December 8, 2011 | 10:17 pm

Caroline (5yo) gave me a new one tonight. She was pretending to be a cat while I was running her bath. I asked her to please get undressed and she said, “I can’t, cats don’t have opposable thumbs!” LOL

I love these stories! kids are so fun!

8. Chrissy
    February 25, 2013 | 1:17 am

Yes..my Colby is named Alec. He told me today that from now on he would like to call his thumb “Pinky” and his pinky finger “Thumb”. He names his fingers? Surprised me too. He is four and a joy and an exasperation. I cannot even remember everything he broke last year and this year it has already added up to three sturdy toys (lasted nicely through his brothers…), our laptop screen, two books, his bed sheet, a stuffed animal, a piece off the car, the car antenna (he was hanging on it to see if it would flip him up…) and one dining room chair. He also kisses me gently in the face every night and tells me I am his best. :) I think he might just be angling for my favor so that he will be allowed to stay with us another year……….