Welcome to this weeks edition of 4 Moms, 35 Kids: How Moms of Many Manage since all of us are bloggers we’re talking a little about blogging today.
For us the purpose of Raising Olives has always been clear:
- Offer practical help, advice and encouragement to younger moms. (Titus 2)
- Tell a little of our story, the joys and the struggles, so that others would know that they aren’t alone.
We accomplish that by focusing on:
- Creating content and answering reader questions
- Being available to readers (I am often available to speak with blog readers on the phone and we’ve had several readers and their families into our home for a meal.)
When we started the blog we thought that RO might be beneficial to those we personally knew and those who others sent to us with questions. We never imagined that RO would have any significant reach, but we immediately saw that the Lord had other plans and realized that perhaps this was a ministry that God had called our family to at this time.
At that point we clarified what role the blog should play in our family:
- God, first.
- Family, second.
- Church and personal friends, third.
- Blog, last
and we set up some guidelines, the primary one being:
- No blogging when children are awake.
I blog because we believe that it is something that God has called our family to do as a means of ministering to the body of Christ. For this reason, blog time stays on my to-do list.
All of this to say that your reasons for blogging will determine when and how you make time for it, how you manage it and what you spend your blog time doing.
I almost always blog early in the morning before the children get up. Sometimes I will spend some of the children’s afternoon rest time blogging or answering emails. (I’m hopelessly behind on emails as I really haven’t gotten back to it since the beginning of this pregnancy, sorry if you’re waiting on me.)
My Best Blog Tip
The one idea that works best for me as I seek to manage the blog is to have a basic weekly posting schedule. Back when I was posting regularly it went something like this:
- Monday – Funny/humorous or personal post about life in a large, homeschooling family. Most of these were “Not Me” posts (Some favs; Dames, Trains and AutomoBeetles, Why I don’t Post Regularly, Tubs and Toes and Dinner Disaster
- Tuesday – Practical, thoughtful or useful post. (i.e. cloth napkins, mega-bulk freezer cooking and tutorials.
- Wednesday – Picture of the kids, often of some of their crazy antics. (i.e. Cleaning windows, Olive style and table manners)
- Thursday – Whatever I felt like posting or an off day. This has now been taken over with 4 Moms posts.
- Friday – Product review or giveawy, telling readers about something we use and love.
I miss those funny posts and pictures as well and hopefully will get back to more of that type of posting soon.
Something that you would like to see on Raising Olives?
Be sure to visit the other 4 Moms to read some of their blogging wisdom:
For more Moms of Many posts visit the 4 Moms page.