It’s a …

As we headed into the ultrasound room, with the children waiting outside, we explained to the tech that Mark and I wanted to know the gender of the baby, but didn’t wish for the children to find out just yet.

After we knew, the tiny ultrasound room bulged with 10 children and we all enjoyed watching the newest member as he/she happily moved across the screen.

Nick (3), holding onto the foot of my bed, bounced up and down saying, “That’s our baby, that’s our baby.”

Sweet baby #11 mouthing it's hand

“Is it a boy or a girl?” “Are you going to tell me what it is?” “When are you going to tell me what it is?” “I really want to know what the baby is.” from Colby (5).

The others chatted, amazed at the miracle on the screen before them and still trying to guess the baby’s gender.

“Aww, look how cute, the baby is sucking it’s hand.”
“Look, I see it’s fingers”
“That’s it’s spine.”
“I can see it’s feet.”
“Mom, can you feel the baby moving?”

The original plan was to wait until Friday evening (we found out Thursday) and to have an egg hunt (something our littler ones had never done). Inside one of the plastic eggs we would put a note that said that the child who found that egg would be able to look at the ultrasound picture on which the tech had put the baby’s gender and then tell all the others whether they were having a brother or sister.

But none of us wanted to wait overnight, so we stopped by the store and purchased some half price Easter candy and plastic eggs and held our hunt.

Nicholas (3) found the egg with the note. So he had the privilege of telling the others that we were having a baby

BOY!

After the cheers, clapping, jumping, laughing and “I told you so-s” subsided the name debate began.

Picking a name used to be much simpler.

Mark and I simply had to agree on something that we both liked, but now everyone wants to have a say and while the kid’s opinions are not the deciding factor, we don’t want to name a baby something that none of his siblings like.

And so at nearly every mealtime and car ride and sometimes at odd moments during the day, we launch into the name debate, receiving suggestions and vetoes from every corner of the table, car or room. And Mark and I, we try to rally the most support for our favorites, trying to convince the other by sheer force of numbers. :)

So for the moment, the boys narrow the gender gap in the Olive family, 5 boys to 6 girls.

Pregnancy #11 posts:

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

38 Responses to It’s a …
  1. Cindy
    April 16, 2012 | 9:16 am

Hooray for boys! Congratulations!

2. Jama
    April 16, 2012 | 9:19 am

What a fun way to tell the kids!

I can not take the creativity credit for this. Carter (10) suggested the whole scenario.

Some of the older kids were less than thrilled at having to wait, but it was so much fun!!

3. Blair @ The Straightened Path
    April 16, 2012 | 9:22 am

Congratulations! As you well know, boys are so much fun!

4. (the other) mama olive
    April 16, 2012 | 9:26 am

Congratulations! We are also having a boy, which widens our gender gap. The name game sounds very familiar.

5. Lecia
    April 16, 2012 | 9:26 am

What a great way to tell the children. You are truly blessed by the Lord with such a lovely family!!

6. Monica
    April 16, 2012 | 9:30 am

So cute! Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! I love how you made it so fun and exciting for the children.

7. JoyFilledMom
    April 16, 2012 | 9:32 am

Congrats! That is a great way to tell the kids!

I’ve noticed that it becomes harder to name the more you have also! This is our 5th and we finally decided at week 34 what we are naming ours!

I only have 5 more weeks to go! I’m having my first out of hospital birth! I can’t wait!!

8. Annie
    April 16, 2012 | 9:33 am

Whoot! I knew it! Congrats and many blessings!

9. Amber A
    April 16, 2012 | 9:38 am

That is a great way to tell the kids! I was thinking of having a scavenger hunt next time but this idea is a little easier. Congratulations on the boy!

10. Anna
    April 16, 2012 | 9:52 am

Congrats! We’re having our second boy this time and are in the name debate stage as well!

11. Sarah Avila
    April 16, 2012 | 9:56 am

Congrats! Very exciting!!

12. Cari Wiebe
    April 16, 2012 | 10:05 am

Wow we are due very close together and I am having a boy. Only for us this is baby #8 (2 with the Lord)! We have 2boy, 2girls, 2boys. We are having a VERY hard time picking a name. So excited for you. Its kinda fun to reading your blogs and identify with someone I don’t even know. God bless you, how you continue to feel well.

13. Joy
    April 16, 2012 | 10:14 am

Congrats on another blessing from God!

14. Mrs. White - The Legacy of Home
    April 16, 2012 | 10:31 am

This was so much fun to read. . . so very precious!! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!!

hugs!!

blessings
    Mrs. White

15. MEClarks
    April 16, 2012 | 10:32 am

What fun, happy news! Congratulations! We are still glowing in the joy of our first boy and the gloriousness of our three girls!

16. Kristina
    April 16, 2012 | 10:39 am

CONGRATULATIONS!! What a fun way to share the news with the kids too. So happy for you and your beautiful family. We, too, are expecting…baby #5. Since we have 2 girls and 2 boys, we’ll be waiting to find out the gender until he/she makes his/her grand entrance in October. But, you’ve inspired me to be just as creative when we announce the news at the birth! Congrats again! Praying for continued energy and comfort as you continue in your pregnancy. :)

17. Liz @ The HomeStyle
    April 16, 2012 | 12:00 pm

Congratulations Kimberly! What a fun way to tell the kids the gender! I’ll have to remember that for next time.

18. becky
    April 16, 2012 | 1:44 pm

That’s great! We took out kids into the sono last week, and they just stared at the screen with expressions that said, “is that supposed to be a baby?” (They are 6,5, and almost 3)

19. Monique
    April 16, 2012 | 2:21 pm

I got teary eyed all over again just reading this. Congrats my friend!! And if you need another suggestion with your boy name, my husband can offer up a golden one :c)

20. Laura
    April 16, 2012 | 3:49 pm

Congratulations! We are having #8, due August 19th, and it is a girl! That makes 6 girls for us, 2 boys. LOL!

We are also heavy in the naming discussions. Phew! It is a lot of work trying to come up with a 6th girl’s name! :)

21. Laura
    April 16, 2012 | 3:52 pm

Oh! And what a creative idea to tell the kids what you are having. My husband is an ob, so he did the ultrasound himself while all the kids gathered around me on the examining table, excitedly awaiting the news. So much fun! I love having them there for that!

22. Laura
    April 16, 2012 | 4:14 pm

Even though you’ve heard this a million times, your blog blesses my socks off!!! I love it. I am a young mother of one with another one on the way (due in September, too!). We want as many children as God wants for us (plus considering adoption) and reading your blog just solidifies my desire for a full house for God’s glory! Thank you so much! God bless you and your lovely family :)

23. Alice
    April 16, 2012 | 5:10 pm

Congratulations, how very exciting to be expecting another sweet baby boy!!! :) I love the way you did it with the kids too! I am due my 6th baby boy (still no daughters!) in 5 weeks. We never have trouble with names, despite all the boys. A name always comes to us early in the pregnancy, and that’s usually when I become suspicious that it’s another boy! ;) The day we can’t for the life of us think of another boy name that we like is probably the time we are finally expecting a girl! I can’t wait to hear what you name him!

24. Large family small world
    April 16, 2012 | 5:30 pm

Congratulations! Yes, baby naming used to be so much simpler. We actually let our oldest name our last baby (#7). She had faithfully prayed for him by name since before I’d even been pregnant, then we found out he was due a week after her birthday. We figured we would let her name him (it was a name we had considered before).

25. Shannon
    April 16, 2012 | 6:27 pm

We only have 3 girls and the first two names came so easy, the third was so much harder! My mom stuck with no nickname names, so my 3 brothers all have 4 letter names, at least one name being a family name being a family name.

Good luck and we are all waiting for you to post the most popular suggestions.:D

26. Hannah H
    April 16, 2012 | 9:06 pm

I’m having my first boy in June, we already have 2 daughters :)

27. deirdre
    April 16, 2012 | 10:59 pm

I won. Lol. I think it is wonderful that Nick the last olive boy born found the egg. Perfect!

28. Janelle
    April 17, 2012 | 1:11 am

How fun!! We also just found out we’re having a boy (we’ll have 3 & 3), but yes, the name thing is so hard. In our family we have 2 “J’s”,2 “A’s”, 2 “L’s” and one “S”. My “S” daughter really wants us to pick an “S” name, but it makes it very difficult. We’ve been over all of the names and the only one we like is “Simon”, but with the Chipmunk popularity lately, I’m not sure that’s a name I want to choose at this time. I look forward to seeing what you decide on! :)

Christy Reply:

I love Simon! One of my friends has a Simon and a Silas.

29. Mindy at Grateful for Grace
    April 17, 2012 | 9:35 am

Congrats on #11! I am very happy for you.

I just wanted to share my thoughts about why I think The Child Training Bible is a bad idea. I was surprised to see you endorsing it.

I share in the spirit of iron sharpening iron. I admire what I know from you on the blog (though that doesn’t really let you know a person, right?) :) and believe you to truly care about living a Biblical life.

In Him, Mindy

I’d like to say that I appreciate your comments on my blog and I understand your heart of iron sharpening iron. This is why I’ve chosen to respond to you here.

You make a few assumptions in this post that I would like to challenge.

A second assumption is that God’s Word is not about “how to behave”.

You say,

God’s beautiful, wonderful Word is not about “how to behave”, it’s about Him. Knowing Him. Loving Him. Glorifying Him.

Yes, God’s Word is about Him, knowing Him, loving Him and glorifying Him, but is it true that it is not about ‘how to behave’?

1 Thess. 4 says he who rejects the how-you-ought-to-walk (“how to behave’) aspect of the Bible is rejecting God,

1 Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God …[ several verses reminding them how they have been commanded to walk or ‘how to behave’]….. 7 For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification. 8 So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you.

Most of the Scriptures are about how to behave and how not to behave. (Eph 4:17-32 is a prominent NT example)

Why is this?

Well, how do we know God, love God or glorify God?

For this is the love of God that we keep his commandments and his commandments are not burdensome

And this is love that we walk according to his commandments.

If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me;

Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;

but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me.

By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; ~1 John 2:3-4

You say,

I fear it undermines what should be the focus of the Christian parent: sharing and rejoicing in the Gospel.

How do we teach our children the ‘gospel’ without teaching them what God requires?

The first part of the gospel is understanding our need for Christ.

for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin. Rom. 3:20

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Rom. 3:23

This is one strength of the CTB, to show our children that they have sinned against a holy and just God, not just disobeyed their mom and dad. When we take our children to the Bible as part of their correction (and we’ve done this ever since we became parents, more than 15 years before we heard about the CTB), we point out their sin, their need for a Savior and their need for repentance. We step them through this process as they confess their sin to God and whomever else they offended and ask for forgiveness.

But there is more to the gospel than recognizing our sin and turning from it. We must turn to something. Romans 6 goes through this and explains that we must turn to righteousness. We must be slaves of righteousness

What is righteousness? Obedience to the law of God.

In the great commission, how does Jesus command his disciples to spread the gospel?

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Here is what the Bible focuses on when it comes to parents and children:

For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment;

God chose Abraham because he would command his children to behave in a certain way.

Psalm 78,

5For he (God) established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: 6That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:

Duet. 6,

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children,

My son, observe the commandment of your father And do not forsake the teaching of your mother; Proverbs 6:20

Hear, my son, the instruction of a father, And attend to know understanding: For I give you good doctrine; Forsake ye not my law. ~Prov. 4:1-2

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Eph.6:4

My son, hear the instruction of thy father, And forsake not the law of thy mother. Proverbs 1:8

My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; Proverbs 3:1

Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes saw, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life; but make them known unto thy children and thy children’s children; I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children. Deut. 4:9-10

It seems to me that parents are to point their children to Christ by teaching them how to obey God.

We know that children are commanded to obey their parents (Ex. 20, Eph. 6, etc.). If we, as parents, are requiring our children to obey us (and we should be), but are making up our own standard rather than looking to God’s Word as the standard, then we are guilty of “teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.”

How often are we to be talking to our children of God, His works and His law? Deuteronomy 6:1-9 says we are to be talking to our children about everything that He has commanded us when we rise up, when we walk by the way, when we lie down, etc.

Should parents also be reading the Bible to their children? Of course.

Is the Bible merely a rule book? No way.

It is much more than a rule book, but it is certainly not less.

Does the Bible contain rules that govern our lives? Yes. Are we wrong then for using it for that purpose?

To condemn the CTB and those who promote it because it serves a specific purpose and does not provide for us everything the entire Bible can give us, is like speaking out against a book that uses the Scriptures to teach about biblical marriage.

One could say, the Bible isn’t just a handbook for a happy marriage, but it’s false to say that the Bible isn’t a handbook for a happy marriage, it is that and so much more.

Mindy at Grateful for Grace Reply:

I agree with everything you’ve said. Truly.

I regret that my post doesn’t come across strong enough that I think we should teach our children how to behave in Christ, what God desires in our behavior, and what it means to know God’s Word (including all the law). I do believe all of your reasons for sharing God’s Word.

My focus as a parent, though, needs to be that I make sure to show both God’s law and God’s grace. I still do think that the CTB’s focus is the law.

We can surely agree to disagree.

You say:
    “The most obvious is that anyone involved in this product or promoting this product would view this as the ONLY purpose of God’s Word. While it’s certainly possible for someone to misuse God’s Word in this manner, one certainly does not need the CTB to do so. This is not the heart of the Dunn family, nor of any bloggers who I’ve seen promoting this. If it was, I would join you in condemning such ideas. As a matter of fact, the CTB has 3 sections devoted to sharing the gospel with your children.”

That is a concern of mine because this kind of product especially lends itself to that kind of abuse, misuse and wrong focus. I do not believe every person using it will do this, nor do I believe it is the heart of the Dunn family and I never said it was.

BUT The main issue that has been bothering me is that you say I “condemn the CTB and those that use it”. That seems harsher than my post or reasoning for disagreeing with using the CTB.

The good thing is that you encouraged me in word study. I guess definition one does fit in how I feel about the CTB:

con·demn   [kuhn-dem] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    1.to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure.

BUT it does NOT fit in how I feel about those who use it (people). I do not condemn. I simply disagree.

See why I was bothered? There’s a difference in my disagreeing and in me condemning.

I do not condemn you or others who see to train their children in the LORD by using the CTB.

in Him,
    Mindy

30. Monique (the other and less beautiful than the Bessler Monique)
    April 17, 2012 | 5:15 pm

So glad to see and hear that you are feeling so good now and that baby 11 is safe and sound in your womb. Would love to chat with you, when you get a chance. Please tell everyone hi from the Dewey’s who are now in sunny FL about to go watch my husband at work, what a priviledge I have to see him work!! Our love and prayers to you and your wonderful family, still looking forward to getting together, this year hopefully :-)

31. Elizabeth
    April 18, 2012 | 7:11 am

So Exciting!!! :)

congratulations on another “thorn” to add to your garden of “roses” and “thorns!” :)

32. Michele
    April 18, 2012 | 12:48 pm

Such exciting news and a fun way to share! Congratulations.

Also, I posted about the bible giveaway on my blog and already several people have said they ordered it…thanks for sharing!

33. MomStarr
    April 18, 2012 | 12:59 pm

congratulations!! Glad you are feeling good and everything is going well with the pregnancy. So glad it is a boy. :)

34. Dianne
    April 19, 2012 | 7:30 pm

A boy?! But you said most of your friends were having girls. I was sure it was a fool-proof method ;D Congratulations! I’ve been busy for the last couple of days and hadn’t been able to read your articles, but I’d been thinking about it and finally got a chance.