I Goofed

Today the 4 Moms are supposed to answer reader questions. We’re certainly not talking about keeping up your energy (that’s next week). moms of many manage Since I obviously can’t read a simple schedule, I wrote all about keeping up your energy and didn’t realize my mistake until this morning when I saw that a FB reader mentioned the 4 Moms Q & A post for today.

Ooops!

Since we have a houseful of guests (The Cardamom’s Pod is visiting), I’m not going to try to get my thoughts together and write a whole ‘nother post.

Too many people to get in one photo:

Part of the Olive and Cardamom clan

More of the Cardamom and Olive clans

Still not pictured; Me, Amber (15) and Colby (5) Olive and Mom, Dad and Sarah Cardamom.
So if you have questions that you’d like me to answer, please leave them in the comment section and I’ll post a Q & A post tomorrow. :)

In the meantime here are some questions I’ve already answered:

Be sure to visit the other 4 Moms because they will actually be answering your questions:

KimC at Life in a Shoe
Connie at Smockity Frocks
Headmistress at The Common Room

Here is my promised Q & A post talking about haircuts, sleeping, chores, college, bed wetting and menu planning.

For more Moms of Many posts visit the 4 Moms page.

Share on Facebook10Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

14 Responses to I Goofed
  1. Church Mouse
    June 14, 2012 | 11:20 am

Thanks for the link that answered the question I sent to you about Bibles. Must have somehow missed that one the first time around. Enjoy your company! :)

2. hannah d.
    June 14, 2012 | 12:03 pm

love your blog!!! I have three under 5(and planning on having more) and people where I live always act like im crazy. I find you so encouraging!

Question: How to handle sleeping at night/get your babies/kids to sleep at night and possible all night?

Katherine Reply:

This is a great question! I have a 9 month old and one on the way. My 9 month old still nurses every two hours from midnight till morning. I’m starting to wonder if we’re normal?

Hi Hannah d,

Because I’ve typically had difficulty maintaining milk supply while I’m nursing the baby, we don’t encourage our babies to sleep through the night while they’re still breastfeeding. We do however, start trying to cut down on night time feedings once I’m pregnant again. (Yes, I’ve regularly conceived while still 100% breastfeeding and even nursing multiple times at night.)

That said, until Isabella (our 10th) all of our children have slept through the night once they stopped nursing at night. Bella, however, has never been a good sleeper and still regularly gets up and night.

Some ideas for encouraging kids to sleep at night:

1. Don’t reward them for getting up at night. Deal with their issue and get them back to bed as quickly as possible. No extra rocking, snuggling, special time with mom. (Unless of course there is a good reason for it, illness, etc.)

2. Squash it before it becomes a habit. If the child starts regularly getting up at night for a drink of water (or whatever), set it up so that they can handle it themselves without waking others. (a cup already filled with water in the bathroom or kitchen, etc.)

3. Try to head off night time needs at bedtime. Give drinks, use the bathroom, etc.

Bella has been great for me because she’s caused me to realize that it’s not necessarily all about parenting (I think much of it is)
    , some kids just don’t sleep well at night. Nine of our children have learned to sleep well at night with these simple guidelines, but God gave me Bella to keep me humble. (If none of your children sleep well at night, then it might have something to do with parenting. :) )

3. Adrienne
    June 14, 2012 | 1:18 pm

How well do you plan meals or do you choose meals day by day? As a mom of six, I’m always looking for a better way to do things – and meal planning is not one of my strong suits. What works well for you?

4. Monique
    June 14, 2012 | 3:38 pm

So – part of me feels a little guilty, and part if me is giggling with a mischievous grin. Post answers tomorrow? I’ve got a challenge!! How do you cut little boys hair so they don’t look foolish? (complete with picture how to’s, of course.). Since I know you’re bursting with energy and have ABSOLUTELY nothing better to do, I’ll look forward to your step by step how-to tomorrow.

Love, your terrible friend ;c)

Guilt is absolutely the appropriate feeling for you to have right now (and you know it).

I’m busily looking for those @#! videos….

You do know I still love you, right?

Monique Reply:

I know, I know…I should feel horrible. And I kind of do, except that it’s tempered by how hard I’ve been laughing ALL afternoon. And you know I’d never make such a ridiculous request from someone if I didn’t love them too, right? Though, I will say, I’ll be mega-impressed if you can get it done ;)

5. Carole Lynne
    June 14, 2012 | 8:45 pm

I love lurking on Cardamom’s Pod blog. How fun to have her visit send her onto Missouri next. Actually, just wanted to encourage you you must spend hours blogging all these posts and ebooks too. Just a note to say I admire you.

6. Mary Jo @ Covenant Homemaking
    June 14, 2012 | 8:55 pm

I have a question.

I’ve read your posts on clothes, laundry, etc. and I’m wondering if you have the same clothing limits for babies as for older children. Do you keep more outfits on hand for little babies (extra onesies, etc.), or do you just keep five everyday outfits, two church outfits, etc? If you have different guidelines, could you share them?

7. kelli
    June 14, 2012 | 9:56 pm

my question is about budgets, paying for chores, and disciplining…

how do you manage all of it on income, do the kids get paid for chores (and how do you balance who pays for what), and how do you handle the disciplining for chores not being done? I can’t refuse to cook dinner, I don’t get paid for it, and if I do try to refuseto cook and someone else does, I still get roped in… I love our situation, but sometimes I feel that we are doing too much for the kids and they aren’t learning discipline or a work ethic… I have a husband, 4 kids (15, soon-to-be 8, 4,2), and a full time job out of the home

8. Michelle
    June 14, 2012 | 11:25 pm

What are your thoughts about how your kids are going to do college, if they choose to want to do so. I find it overwhelming to think about(comunity college/state university/private Christian School, financing…), and with your oldest not far from graduating high school I wonder what your thoughts are or if you have gained any insight on this matter from other famalies.

9. Diana
    June 15, 2012 | 8:34 am

How did you keep up with running your home and caring for/ feeding your first babies before you had big kiddos to help? I love being Momma to our first (almost 5 months), but it seems like nursing him (and trying to get enough rest myself) takes so much of my time I am struggling to take back my pre-pregnancy responsibilities from my hubby (who has graciously shouldered a lot). I want to have a large family but at the moment I’m concerned for the future since I’m taking so long adjusting to being Momma to one. Thanks!