I’m exhausted and feel huge, but can honestly say that I’m enjoying this third trimester.
This pregnancy has been the most physically difficult for me. I’m blessed not to have any serious physical problems, but all those things that I thought were a big deal/inconvenience/huge discomfort (tiredness, nausea, and baby being up under my ribs) when I was in my 20’s and 30’s are now more pronounced. However, it’s just been easier to do the next thing.
Perhaps it’s because, with older, helpful children the house is able to continue to function at a high level despite my tiredness. Perhaps it’s because I’m more appreciative of the blessing of pregnancy now that I’m not looking at decades more of potential child bearing. Perhaps it’s because I realize how fleeting pregnancy really is. Perhaps it’s because of the how extremely busy we’ve been since the end of the first trimester. Whatever the reason, I’m thankful. Thankful for this pregnancy, thankful for this child and thankful for His grace that enables us to do what He requires us to do.
At my last OB check (this past Wednesday) the baby was transverse. Bella was also transverse until the end when she turned breech for the c-section.
This little one moves frequently, but it’s more of a squirming than a pounding. I’m thinking that he may be a little more laid back than some of his siblings and I’m OK with that.
We’re currently discussing whether we want to go ahead with the scheduled c-section at 39 weeks or, considering that this little one is a boy (and boys don’t do as well with being early), wait until later or even wait until I go into labor.
Edited to add: **Please, before explaining to me the risks of repeat c-sections or suggesting that I should have a VBAC, be sure to read this post where I explain why, after 9 ‘natural’ births including 2 home births we decided to have c-sections for any subsequent children. It wasn’t an easy decision, it isn’t an uninformed decision and it is not a decision that we made lightly. Thanks for all of your prayers and input!
The pros of waiting:
- less worries of prematurity or problems with the baby
The cons of waiting:
- I have to be pregnant longer
- if I go into labor it’s then an ’emergency’ c-section. We’re less prepared and my OB and the anesthesiologist are less prepared. Our hopes for a family-centered c-section may be compromised.
My OB is pretty cautious and, while he will not schedule a c-section before 39 weeks, he’s fine with doing one anywhere between 39 and 40 weeks. We’re hoping to speak with him at my next OB visit and get more of his thoughts.
I’d love to hear thoughts on scheduled vs. non-scheduled c-sections bringing baby early.
You may also be interested in: