Simple Boy’s Haircut Tutorial

Cutting hair can save a family hundreds of dollars a year, not to mention the time it saves to not have to schedule and travel to appointments.

I’ve been cutting my husband’s and boy’s (and girl’s) hair since God brought them into my life.

Our boys getting ready for hair cuts

I’m not an expert and I occasionally have a BIG OOOPS, but if I don’t procrastinate, our boys are presentable (well at least their hair is).

After a haircut

Below I’ve included a step-by-step tutorial followed by a short video of each step.

If six different videos is going to drive you craze, scroll to the bottom of this post where you’ll find a longer video (about 6 minutes) with all of the steps combined.

For a simple boy’s haircut you will need:

You’ll want to set up your area with a stool or chair for the boy to sit on and a trash can or compost bucket for the hair you cut off.

1. Trim the bottom back.

Using the clippers without the guard, cut straight across the bottom back of the boy’s hair OR cut a bit of a curve across the bottom back of the boy’s hair. Use the clippers to trim hair on back of neck if needed.

2. Cut the back and short side of the hair with the clippers with a guard.

Part the boy’s hair along his regular part line and put a guard on the clippers. (I normally use between 1/4″ and 1/2″ guard. This haircut was done with a 3/8″ guard.)

Clip the short side of his hair from around his ears up to the part line. Clip the back portion of his head from the bottom of his hair line up the back, being careful not to get too close to the long side of his hair.

3. Trim around the ears.

Remove clipper guard from the clippers or switch to the shortest guard available. Working around the ear, place the edge of the clippers that are nearest the ear against the skin and angle the other edge of the clippers away from the head, then following the curve of the back of the ear trim the hair.

Your trying to create a nice, even cut with the hair closest to the ear being shorter than the hair farther away from the ear.

Be sure to trim around both ears.

4. Trim the top and long side of the hair with comb and scissors.

Switch to a comb and scissors and trim the top and long side of the hair using the width of your fingers to measure length.

5. Re-trim the top and long side of hair to make sure everything is even.

I go side to side across the head moving from the front of the head to the back of the head (shown in video #4). And then I begin at the part and move from the front to back while moving across to the long side of the hair.

6. Blend the hair on the long side from the short part around the ear where you used the clippers to the long part at the top/side of the head where you used the comb and scissors.

This is the trickiest part.  The idea is to create a smooth blend of the hair from the super short clipper trimming around the ears up to the longer scissor cut portion at the top/side of the head.

(The camera battery died just before the last word of this last video, sorry. I was saying that the whole haircut will look a little better after the hair has been washed.)

Have the boy wash his hair then step back and enjoy the fruit of your work.

Here’s a longer video with all the steps combined for those who prefer it.

Questions?

You may also be interested in:

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest288Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter3

17 Responses to Simple Boy’s Haircut Tutorial
  1. Dianne
    June 18, 2012 | 9:56 am

I have some of the most hilarious memories of oops haircuts! Just thinking of them makes me laugh! Anyway, you did a good job. My husband used to be the family barber and did a nice job, until I took over the duties, now that we have teenagers. If you can believe it, they actually prefer my haircuts over the “professional” ones most of the time.

Carolyn Reply:

Checking out a lot of DIY haircut links/blogs this week. I have been getting my hair cut by my boyfriend for the last dozen haircuts, gave my children their last two haircuts (mostly under hovering supervision by my boyfriend) and this weekend is haircut time. I am not angry at him, he gave me alot of great advice and showed me how to use the clippers, guards, trimming, scooping and blending techniques. He helped me buy good tools and showed me how to use them. To me it was like a guy buying a DeWalt power tool. Good tools are an investment that last and perform. He kept me from failing terribly and scalping my children. He wanted me to succeed and I did. He did most of the scissor over comb cutting (at the request of my children) when I got too nervous. The first haircuts were great and the next two, which I did over 90% of were really good too. I got alot of positive feedback on the haircuts from family and friends. They said I should open my own shop, they would recommend me as well as give me business. Expectations are high. But now it is school in session. I want to do 100% of the haircuts and then ask his opinion, touch up AFTER I finish. There is no room for an “Oops” incident. I am on track to save over $900 on haircuts between mine and my children. It is worth the due diligence. I am 98% comfortable now. but that last 2%. At least another 8 hours of Youtube videos before Saturday night. Wish me well.

2. Amanda
    June 18, 2012 | 10:22 am

Oh thank you for posting this. I have a two year old son who’s hair grows so fast. I have been wanting to try to cut it myself but lack confidence. I think I will just try and see how it goes. My husband won’t let me touch his hair until he sees some skills.

3. Natalie
    June 18, 2012 | 10:42 am

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve tried to do hair cuts many years ago and always ended up just buzzing my poor boys (now 16 and 18). Then I had a string of girls and it wasn’t really an issue. But now I have two little boys again…a 2 yo and a new baby…and I REALLY want to learn how to do this. I love a nice cut rather than the buzz look. And my 2 yo has such nice hair. He’s due for a cut soon…I can’t wait to watch your video and give it a go.

4. Melissa P. @Mel4Him
    June 18, 2012 | 11:07 am

Thanks for the post and I absolutely agree. My BIL gave my son his first hair cut when he was around 1-year-old and I have been cutting it ever since. Once in a while I will treat him to a hair cut at Sports Clips but other than that, I do it myself. The benefits definitely are a plus. As a matter of fact, I just cut my son’s hair just yesterday. LOL. For any newbies, I say start practicing on your child’s hair when they are little and in the warm months. That way you can cut it outside, get lots of practice, and if you have an OOPS moment they will not even notice at that young age. Also, if you do mess up, you can give them a simple buzz cut all around. Perfect for the summer and no one will no the difference. LOL.

5. Ang
    June 18, 2012 | 3:15 pm

Thank you SO much for this tutorial! I’ve only tried cutting my older son’s hair once, and ended up having to buzz cut it instead. I think that I’ll have a little better luck after having it explained.

6. Jama
    June 18, 2012 | 10:24 pm

Thanks for posting the tutorial. If I can master this, I can save us almost $400 a year! :-)

7. Anna@The DIY Mom
    June 18, 2012 | 10:36 pm

You definitely make it look easy! :) I cut my husband and boys hair, but right now only with scissors. I think that makes it harder and take longer. We had to leave our clippers behind when we moved, because they would work with the voltage on this side of the world. The ones they sell in the stores here look like they will break after one haircut, so we’ll have to wait on the clippers. Maybe we can order a dual voltage set at some point in the future.

Since we’ve moved I’ve had my husband cut the back of my hair and I do the front. This helps save time and money too, but I do have a pretty simple hair cut.

8. Kylie Marjoram
    June 18, 2012 | 11:32 pm

Can this be done on boys under 1? My baby boy is almost 11mths and I think that his hair needs cutting. He is also my first boy so I am not sure what to do.

9. Lisa Reynoso
    June 19, 2012 | 9:26 am

When I saw the announcement for this post coming up last week, I thought, “This will be interesting. Her boys all have straight hair and my husband and son have curly hair. I wonder how her method differs from mine.” The answer? Very little! I switch steps 1 & 2, but that’s mostly because it’s easier to see where to make the line when the hair is shorter. I use clippers on the sides and back and scissors on top, blend in from top to sides, etc. Because of the curly factor, I can’t grade the sides with an angle like you can with straight hair, so I go from the bottom up, tilting the clippers as I go up to make it longer on top. I also use several sizes, starting with the largest size and working down, to grade the sides, and just don’t cut as high each time. About 3 sizes, usually. And yes, I clip the top with scissors. I do have to wet it–wet curly hair is much easier to cut than dry!

I’ve been cutting my husband’s hair since we got engaged, and I’ve been cutting my son’s since he was 18 months old (I wanted to wait two years, but it was so uneven–long on top and short on the sides and back–and you can’t gather boy’s hair into cute bows like you can girl’s hair!). I cut my husband’s every 6 weeks or so (his hair grows very slowly), and my son’s hair whenever it starts to get too long to keep nice. Because it’s so curly, I can get away with going longer, because grease will make the curls stay tighter and look shorter even when it is longer, but there are limits even to that. So maybe once every 2-3 months.

My daughter… well, she wants long hair, and it’s curly too (think Shirley Temple but with half the quantity). I last cut her hair about a year and a half ago, and it really needs a trim. When we are washing it, it straightens out to the middle of her back, but curled up it just reaches her shoulders. It’s just too curly for me to handle anymore, so I’m going to have a friend who is a hairdresser do it. She said she’d charge $8. If she does it once a year, that’s not too bad! And maybe if I watch, I’ll learn something and in a few years I’ll be able to do it myself.

Thankfully my next baby is a boy! Short haircuts are easier by far than long ones, at least on curly hair!

10. Mindy at Grateful for Grace
    June 19, 2012 | 1:23 pm

YEA! I look forward to the “How to Cut Girls’ Hair” tutorial. :) Soon, pretty please?

11. Annie
    June 20, 2012 | 10:24 am

Great job encouraging others to jump in! I have been cutting my hubby’s hair for probably 4 years and my sons also. One is only 1 1/2, so he’s only had a handful of cuts. I will say, I pray hard before each cut. I always tell my husband, “you know I was never trained in this, right?”. He’s sweet and patient and actually prefers me to do it over a shop. I sent him a couple of months ago when I honestly couldn’t do it. I am expecting #5 and there have just been “those days.”
    He actually came home and we both kind of felt a little sad we had actually PAID someone else to do a sloppy job!! The Lord used it to encourage me that is is worth it to buckle down and just go for it!

12. Monique
    June 21, 2012 | 8:10 pm

YOU ROCK!!! Thanks for posting this. Come over sometime and watch me attempt a haircut on my four year old while simultaneously watching the video. You can remind me to put the guard on ;)

13. Mom as Doctor
    June 26, 2012 | 10:35 am

Thank you for sharing this!

I have cut everyone’s hair in our family for years. Yet, I have many times when my poor boys look like I got a little too zealous with the clippers and scissors.

You shares some tips of how to do things differently. I can’t wait to try them.

14. Marie
    June 26, 2012 | 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting – this gave me the confidence to give my three haircuts. I’m still not brave enough to use the clippers, but maybe some day. Luckily they don’t have that much hair, so scissors seem to work just fine for us :-)

15. Cheryl @ Moms in Need of Mercy
    July 26, 2012 | 12:25 am

A friend of mine, who was a cosmetologist before becoming a full-time mom once taught me how to cut boys’ hair. I did a tutorial on it as well (very similar to yours), and she gave me tips on what angles to use to cut various sections of hair. If you don’t mind, I’ll post the links.
    For scissor cutting: http://momsinneedofmercy.blogspot.com/2009/10/cutting-boys-hair.html
    For clipper cuts: http://momsinneedofmercy.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-cut-boys-hair-like-pro-part-two.html

Also, did you all see that JC Penney is offering free kids cuts for K-12 students in August? (Homeschoolers count!). Even though I can do it myself and probably should, I made an appointment to take my boys in for a trim. It will only cost me the tip ($14 haircut value, so about $4 tip for 2). I think all you have to do is call your local Penney’s salon if you’re interested and mention the free back-to-school cuts. Maybe that will help someone!

16. Nikki
    August 2, 2012 | 4:05 am

Thanks for posting this Kimberly! I usually just buzz my boys’ hair all around and then even out the back and sideburns. But now I feel like I have some very good instruction from you. I can’t wait to try it out!