Confessions: Giggles from Our Homeschool

Posted with Kaitlin’s (15) permission.

For several years our goal has been for Mark to be more involved in homeschooling our children, specifically as they get into the upper grades. We’ve slowly and surely made progress in this direction and this year Mark is the primary homeschool parent for our oldest children. (He plans, gives and checks all assignments in all subjects, oversees all group readings and leads all discussions. This really allows me to focus on home educating our younger children.)

I hope that this is an encouragement to those of you who have a goal of a father being very involved in the homeschooling. Mark does not have the type of job where he can take children with him (he’s on the road everyday and most of the places that he goes require security clearance). This is something that our family has grown into and the Lord has brought about and I’m confident that for nearly all families who desire this it is possible, even with those situations that make it more challenging.

One of the things that Mark is working through with our older children is Omnibus Year 2 by Veritas Press. While they were reading Augustine’s Confessions I received an email from Mark.

Kaitlin

It made me giggle, I love these kids.

Here is the email:

The assignment was to start an outline that will be used to write your own confession.  I gave the assignment last week but no one was finished on Monday and only one was done last night.  Read Kaitlin’s below.

In the year of our Lord 1998 I, Kaitlin ____ was born to two Christian parents. I have been raised to love the Lord Jesus Christ who is my Savior and who was willing to die on the cross to save me.

For my school I was told to do a paper about my confessions. Instead I slacked off and did not get it done.

Dad wanted me to write a paper so that I could learn diligence and practice my writing.

Instead of doing this writing I played, ran and forgot to do it. When it came time to turn the paper in I tried to make excuses for not having it done instead of telling Dad the truth.

I told Dad I forgot, but forgetting is a sin because I didn’t think it was important enough to remember.

When I saw Dad’s look of disappointment I knew I had failed him and had not obeyed my Heavenly Father. Thank you Lord for your mercy to those who do not keep your commandments.

Dad here is my outline. I love you.

What have your kids done recently that made you laugh or just shake your head in disbelief?

You may also be interested in:

Facebook2Pinterest0EmailTwitter1

7 Responses to Confessions: Giggles from Our Homeschool
  1. Grandma
    April 9, 2013 | 9:27 am

Love this kid!

2. Jenn
    April 9, 2013 | 6:10 pm

We would love to read more about how you have made the transition to Mark teaching your older kids. This is an ideal we would like to work towards but as our kids are still all very small we haven’t made much a of a move toward it yet. We had thought he would need to make a job switch to make it possible so we are doubly interested in how you make it work with a dad’s busy full-time job. Maybe a blog post on this sometime? :-)

3. Michele
    April 9, 2013 | 10:37 pm

My 5th son, Josiah, has been a little slower at becoming more independent. However, just a few weeks ago, at the age of 4.75, he has taken great initiative in dressing himself completely on his own. At 8 mos. pregnant, and with a twenty month in tow, I was more than eager to accept this. Each day, I laid out his clothes and underwear, reminding him to put fresh underwear on each day.

After his bath on a Tuesday night, I did this. Then again Wednesday morning and Thursday. Imagine my surprise at Thursday nights bath when I pulled off not one, but all three pairs of underwear! He had been putting on new clothes. Only, I had failed to remind him to remove the old. ;)

Inga Reply:

So cute! I can see that happening at my house!

4. prdama
    April 10, 2013 | 8:02 am

This is such a beautiful testimony of the Lords faithfulness and your parenting and giving your children the Word.

I would love to hear how your husband is invovled being gone so much.
    Angie

5. Cynthia
    April 11, 2013 | 1:54 am

Kim,

I have never left a comment here before, but I’ve been faithfully reading your blog for some time now. We have eight children, ages 14 down to 4 months. We just started homeschooling 3 years ago, so we’ve been “all over the map” in our efforts to figure out how to live purposefully and faithfully with a large family.
    Your blog has been such an inspiration to me during this time. I know you are a busy mom, and I can only imagine the time commitment it takes to keep this blog going. I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how deeply I appreciate your efforts, your time and your wisdom.

Blessings to you and your beautiful family,

Cynthia

6. Shannon
    April 11, 2013 | 1:58 pm

That was such a great example of honesty.

My 11 year old is learning the joys and frustration of homeschooling after 6 years of private school and the boredom, frustrations, and exhaustion that went along with that choice.
    She is very independent but when she starting running into snags with pre-algebra she didn’t bring it to my attention. Instead she made a point to me that I need to be more diligent. She started answering the more difficult questions with “who cares” and “this is dumb”. yes while disrespectful, when she wasnt’ looking, I couldn’t help but laugh, these are exactly how felt about the nonsense math when I was her age! Thankfully we view math the same way so I am helping her make the mental shift from fractions to decimals, such a mile stone.