Homeschooling Schedule Summer 2013

In our home we homeschool year round. This makes sense to us because we believe that everyone (kids and adults) should always be learning and we make a big effort not to separate “homeschooling” from everyday life.

Every single day (even weekends and when we’re at the beach on vacation) our children spend one to two hours reading. We read the Bible one hour each morning and we have an hour of free/slightly directed reading each afternoon.

This summer we are we are keeping more of a wintertime school schedule. Here is what we’re doing:

Before breakfast:

Bible reading - Each fluent reader reds through the Bible 3-4 times each year. (We’ve found that we like reading through the Bible in 90 days then reading through in 6 months and spending more time focused on independent memory work and then reading through the Bible in 90 days again.) These are the plans we are using. Our children all read from the King James or New King James Version or the English Standard Version

Catechism memory – For those children who aren’t yet fluent readers (or who still need a little help when they read the Bible), Daddy is helping them memorize the Children’s Catechism.

Cooking out in the backyard

Cooking out in the backyard

At the breakfast table:

Bella (2) wading in the creek in our back yard

Bella (2) wading in the creek behind our house

Memory work for all the children together - We use our memorization box and just say each passage aloud together. This currently takes about 45 minutes because we I need to move more of the review cards into the ‘little kids’ memorization box.

Bible study – We are currently reading and discussing one chapter of Proverbs each morning focusing on a different character trait each month.

Bible reading – We read the chapter of the Bible that the older kids will be copying that day. (The younger kids copy the Bible also, they just don’t complete a whole chapter each day.) We are currently reading, copying and memorizing the book of Ephesians. (Thanks to Bambi’s post a year ago, our children are memorizing more Scripture independently. This is separate from the above memory work.)

Hymn study OR Poetry OR Picture study - Currently using Douglas Bond’s series for our hymn study and reading through Poems for Patriarchs and Verses of Virtue for Poetry.

After breakfast:

Copy work – Children copy a portion of the Bible according to their ability. Our older kids copy one chapter each day, middle ones copy half a chapter a day and Colby (6) copies one verse each day.

Math drill for anyone who hasn’t passed all Calculadder levels. This just ensures that everyone’s basic math skills are sharp.

Younger kids

Reading/language arts lessons – McGuffey Readers.

History – Sonlight

Science – Apologia

Older kids

Science – Apologia

History, etc.Omnibus

Greek – Mounce’s Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar

Rest time:

“Free” Reading - The children pick from a variety of theology, science, history, quality literature, poetry or ‘junk’ reading (‘junk” is things like Redwall, Bobsey Twins, etc.). I lightly monitor their selections and so long as they are being responsible, reading a variety of genres, limiting the amount of ‘junk’ reading and finishing what they start they are free to pick whatever they choose.

Of course we are still gardening, hiking, running cross country (well, the kids are), practicing hospitality and regularly visiting Dollywood. But it’s been more of a schooling summer than we’ve had in a while.

Back: Alyssa (12), Matthew (13), Carter (11), Kaitlin (15) Front: Sadie (9) and Savannah (8)

Do you school year round? What is your summer looking like?

You may also be interested in:

Facebook1Pinterest0EmailTwitter1

14 Responses to Homeschooling Schedule Summer 2013
  1. Gini Walker
    June 21, 2013 | 8:23 am

My kids will be happy to know that they are not the only children to homeschool through the summer. We do take a few more breaks, to go camping and to the beach :D

2. Heidi (Dearly Loved Mist)
    June 21, 2013 | 8:45 am

We don’t school year round, but I find it interesting to read and hear about those who do! I’ve even contemplated it, but near the end of the school year (actually…starting in Spring ;), I tend to feel a “need” for a break to rest, regroup, reorder, and plan so that I’m excited for the next year. In the summer we usually leave the house a ton to go swimming, to parks, on bike rides, etc. There’s still a lot of reading that goes on and the occassional (PLEASE, MOM! Can you do this school work with me?? I really want to do it! – Yay for that!) but nothing formal. Thanks for sharing your schedule! :)

3. Judy
    June 21, 2013 | 8:59 am

We are schooling through the summer. I like taking December off (3 birthdays plus holidays).

4. Tristan
    June 21, 2013 | 9:30 am

We school year round. Summer plans this year are:
    scriptures
    reading for 30 minutes from a literature list
    math
    writing
    typing

Then they spend some afternoon time exploring interests.

We’ve got a short break coming soon, baby #8 is due in 4 weeks. But after probably 2 weeks they’ll be back to work.

What apologia are the younger kids doing for science at your house? I’m getting ready to start one with my younger kids this fall while oldest dives into Apologia’s General Science for 7th. I haven’t decided which book to use for the younger kids though. We’v got them all (well, the new Chemistry/Physics won’t arrive until it’s released next month). My younger ones are 3rd,2nd, K, and the little boys. I’m thinking we may try Astronomy.

Annie Reply:

Tristan,
    We are going to be doing Astronomy this year from Apologia and we are so excited! We use My Fathers World and we are currently on Rome to Reformation which will use Apologia Astronomy. I plan on using Enchanted Learning and the Jr. note booking from Apologia to engage my children since I will be teaching multi ages this year. Hope you enjoy it!

5. Anna
    June 21, 2013 | 9:41 am

We plan to homeschool year round. Right now I have preschoolers so we are, in a sense, schooling year round, but obviously it probably doesn’t look quite the same as it will later.

Wondering for your scripture memorization, how many verses do you go through and how many do you read? I’d like to start with my little ones, but am not really sure how to get into it.

And how long do the kids spend on lessons? :)

6. Babychaser
    June 21, 2013 | 9:50 am

My oldest is six, so things look a little different for us, but we do school year around. That said, I’ve let things slack a bunch for June as we’re preparing to move. No matter when we move though, we’re starting again full force July first (the start of our state’s official school calendar, though most don’t start so early). I’m expecting our fifth baby in November and I’m allowing for 6 weeks off then if we need it. :) I just love the flexibility schooling year around gives in our schedule throughout the rest of the year! :)

Thanks for sharing your schedule!

7. Anita Chamblee
    June 21, 2013 | 10:51 am

We’ve schooled year round forever it seems. This year we are doing a bit more heavily as it seems we had so many times of illness/visits/work days this past year and got a little behind where I wanted to be. The little boys, 4 and 8, are finishing up the KONOS Attentiveness unit. We’ve been heavily reading about Indians and frontiersmen for a while now…Daniel Boone has been in the forefront of their thoughts! We are also working on math, spelling, grammar with the 8 yo and the 4 yo does Kumon mazes for schoolwork as he is inclined. The teens are finishing up a study of Greece via KONOS’ History of the World 1, working on literature, a little grammar and heavily working on math. Our whole family has been working through a Bible study that dh produced last year. (beholdyourgod.com) We’ll stop in a couple of weeks to take a trip to Nashville (Parthenon), then on to Mammoth Cave, then to Louisville where dad and big boys will have one day of filming on the feature film dh is currently producing. Then to Boonesborough where there will be a reinactment of the French and Indian War, down to the Cumberland Gap and the Wilderness Trail for a day of hiking and sight-seeing then passing through your neck of the woods headed home for one day and then down south to visit with my extended family. We’ll start back up with school the first week of August and then take another vacation the first week of October back up to Gatlinburg.

8. Cynthia
    June 21, 2013 | 2:58 pm

Thanks for this post! I love getting a glimpse into your family’s day. Especially helpful as I’m trying to plan our new daily schedule. Thankful for your example and the ideas your blog provides!

9. Annie
    June 21, 2013 | 10:30 pm

Yes, we school year round and love it that way! After thanksgiving, we take a month long “break” from academics per se and really focus on serving others during the holidays. Then in May we take another month “break” and enjoy the late Ohio spring/summer.
    Since my oldest is dyslexic, keeping current with his studies is a must so we will do math and Barton Reading and Spelling each day. Then it’s Civil Air Patrol on Tuesdays and science and history as he likes. Summers are usually time for my son to really pursue his passions in subjects that he is gifted in before we really dig into the full curriculum in August.
    I am curious- you do copy work and such with your children- do they notebook? How do you keep your children’s work? I would love to see if you do any note booking or if your older children, who learn poetry, keep these works in a journal style portfolio or notebook. My oldest is not a lapbook/notebook kid but I know my daughter will enjoy that style.

10. Shannon
    June 23, 2013 | 3:09 pm

My kids don’t realize it is year round schooling, this year we will take about 4-5 weeks off of our boxed curriculum, but we will be doing our science experiements and lots of free reading, some interesting science, cooking, and history movies, it just gets so hot here that other than pooldays we look for quiet ways to spend the afternoon.

That is the plan anyways, we just finished our official school work on Friday.

11. Linda
    June 23, 2013 | 8:41 pm

We homeschool year round because I don’t want any summer brain drain to happen, and also schooling in the summer allows us more leeway during traditional school time for other activities (choir, handbells, co-op, field trips, etc.) We use Time4Learning as our core but we change things up a little during the summer, just to keep it fresh. We use a lot of learning games online (Learning Games for Kids, and Vocabulary and Spelling City http://www.spellingcity.com) We also do a lot of free reading during the summer. Thanks for letting me share how we summer school. Have a great summer!

12. Raye
    June 23, 2013 | 9:39 pm

What do you do with the foster children while you are teaching your kids? Do you include them? Also, will they be attending the public school in the fall?

13. Gabe
    June 26, 2013 | 5:52 pm

We school year round even when we are taking a break. During our breaks our schedule is much looser allowing more time for special projects, training, and school planning. Kids still do Bible study, math, reading and some science experiments. Older kids are expected to have productive projects they are working on.

We take breaks when we need them depending on what is going on in our lives. New babies, moves (military), and morning sickness are common times for us to take breaks. We are taking a break right now so that I can do school planning, spend some time organizing the house, doing some needed training with the kids, and prepare for the birth of baby #8. I love these times and seeing what my older kids decide to do in their additional free time.