Hickory Horned Devil and Rolling Down a Cliff

Last weekend our family participated in our annual family campout (this year we had 124 people, 92 of them were children). While playing in the woods, Alyssa (13) and one of her friends found this beautiful caterpillar.

hickory horned devil camping

He is a Hickory Horned Devil and according to the park ranger they spoke with, this will be the first logged sighting of one of these beauties in the area. (That was pretty cool for all the homeschoolers present.)

He evidently squeezes tightly with his feet as he crawls along your hand, but many of the girls took turns holding him. One day he will turn into a Regal Moth. Have you seen the size of those things?

alyssa caterpillar camping hickory horned devilAlyssa is one of our insect loving children.

Our rule is that if a critter, other than a mosquito, is outside, we don’t harm it. However, if it’s inside it will be promptly exterminated.

If Alyssa spots any misguided creature that may have inadvertently wandered inside, whether it be a moth (which is probably eating our flour), a fly or one of those horrible cave crickets which insist on infesting our basement, she enacts her capture and release program. She just can’t handle any of those creatures being killed.

In other news, our campsite bordered a steep drop off down into a gully with a creek running at the bottom.

While it was steep, it wasn’t worrisome during the daylight because the kids could navigate up and down. However, once it was dark…

The first night as we were sitting around the campfire a group of girls, 8-12ish, decided to put their camp chairs at the edge of the drop off.  Their chairs were placed on that level-ish ground in the foreground of the picture below.

camp cliff

See that drop off?

Isabella (3) decided to go visit her sisters who were part of the group and, as she was climbing up onto the chair, tipped it over and tumbled out backwards.

She had just left my side so when I heard crying coming from such a long way away, I didn’t think it could possibly be her.

However, it was. She tumbled about halfway down the ‘cliff’ and while she was quite frightened, she was unhurt. We’re thankful for God’s protection.

That was enough excitement to last me the whole trip and thankfully my kids agreed.

Psst! Don’t forget to enter our current giveaway for your family to attend (or receive all the audio from) the Worship of God Conference.

Share on Facebook31Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

8 Responses to Hickory Horned Devil and Rolling Down a Cliff
  1. Christina
    October 4, 2013 | 10:45 am

We capture and release indoor bugs/spiders/moths here, too. I believe the words uttered were, “They don’t have salvation! If you kill them that’s all they’ve got!” Can’t argue with that.. :)

That caterpillar is awesome!

2. Jeanne
    October 4, 2013 | 12:51 pm

Please post more camping pics. I love camping and love to see what other people do while camping.
    Blessings!

3. Monique
    October 4, 2013 | 2:48 pm

I’m sorry. I’m your friend and love you, but “beautiful” is not the adjective I’d use. More like “horned devil”. Is THAT what they were trying to show me?!!! Don’t they know me better by now?!??! Hugs!!

Katie Reply:

Agreed Monique! Micah Roberts tried to insist I see it, but I declined. I might have used a different adjective too!!

4. Guest
    October 4, 2013 | 3:18 pm

I hadn’t realized from your FB picture how large that caterpillar was! The second picture gives great perspective – it’s huge!!

My kids loved looking at the pictures of it last night as well as the Royal Moth s/he will become.

5. Christine
    October 4, 2013 | 3:54 pm

What a cool-looking caterpillar! I love how it’s a “thing” that homeschoolers generally are more interested in stuff like this than their “non homeschooled” peers. LOL. We saw a praying mantis at the park a few weeks back and my kids were the most excited (as was I, since we had just read about them that morning- what are the odds?;) out of all the kids there.

6. Priscilla F.
    October 6, 2013 | 3:55 pm

Just wanted to say I’ve enjoyed following your blog for about 5 months now. I read very few due to time constraints, but yours is always a blessing and one I make time for. Also want to say a big thanks for the Dutch Puff recipe, which my family loves!

7. Shannon
    October 6, 2013 | 6:41 pm

My kids thought for sure it was a fake, but I looked it up and they thought it was cool, but glad it wasn’t here:D Our buggy excitement was finding a stick bug for the first time, it also was huge at least 6 inches and hanging out on our front door, I gently relocated it using a piece of my mail, into our front bushes.
    Inside bugs however rarely survive our cats, I will relocate the rare survivor.