Stories of String Bandaids

Sunday was a lovely day. Worship together as a family, lunch and fellowship  with friends and then some quiet time reading aloud to the kids.

Mark was tucking children into bed while I was nursing Valor (1), when Nick (5) started to cry. Then Mark said, “Kimberly” in the tone of voice that makes my adrenaline start to race.

colby nicholas

Nicholas (5) and Colby (7)

It was a head wound and they’re notorious for bleeding, so I relaxed just a little, maybe it wouldn’t require a trip to the ER at 7:30 Sunday night.

It did.

It is times like these that I’m thankful that we now live close to a children’s hospital.

When Kaitlin was 6 she fell and hit her head on a wooden fence post.

Mark’s perspective is interesting. Just a minute after talking with me on the phone and knowing we were all home, he pulled into the driveway to see that our van was gone and the front door  of the house was wide open. As he got out of the car he noticed a trail of blood which he followed down the driveway, through the garage and into the house. It’s hard to imagine what thoughts were going through his head, but our neighbor, who was sitting with the other kids, soon set him straight.

Kaitlin was brave, but the process of getting those stitches in her forehead was painful. They didn’t use any pain killer because they never did get the bleeding under control until it was stitched up, (which was about 15 minutes after we walked in. We’ve never had such fast service.)

When Sadie got her stitches at age 3, they numbed the area by giving her multiple shots of pain killer all in and around the wound. I remember her lying there, still and quiet as can be with big tears running down her cheeks as she repeated, “Mommy, they’re hurting me.” Even one of the nurses was crying.

Which is why I’m thankful for easy access to a children’s hospital where they use a numbing cream and don’t say the word “stitches”. (They use the term “string Band-Aids”.)

So as we sat in the ER waiting room, Mark and I chatted while Nicholas was transfixed by “The Lion King” playing on the television. In the course of our conversation I said the word, “stitches” and suddenly Nick looked at me,  all ears.

“String Bandaids, I mean, string Bandaids”,  I corrected myself.

“Oh”, he replied calmly as he turned back to the movie, “I thought you said stitches.”

When we got back to the room, Nick didn’t flinch as they cleaned out his cut and then put 10 stitches into his head.

He was a champ, not crying or complaining at all.

As we drove home, Mark and I were complimenting him on how brave he had been when he calmly said,

“Well, I’m glad I didn’t have to have stitches because if I had to have stitches then I might have cried.”

For the curious, you may see a picture of Nick’s boo boo here. It’s a doozy and several of the medical personnel mentioned that it was the worst they’d seen in a long time. For perspective, it’s 2 1/2 inches long.

For those of you with weak stomachs, you’re welcome.

Here’s the kicker, Nick was kneeling and leaning out of a standard height bed to get a blanket, lost his balance and fell hitting his head on a low table on the way down (by the time we returned home, the kids had moved that table far away from the bed :) ).

I’m always amazed at God’s blessing of protection!

Share on Facebook1Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter1

30 Responses to Stories of String Bandaids
  1. Zakiyyah
    October 14, 2013 | 10:19 am

Praise the Lord he is doing well! We, too live near a children’s hospital and I love how they treat the kids there. When our oldest was 3, he had a seizure and cut his chin open. They were so swift and through that he didn’t even get a chance to cry!

2. Lucinda
    October 14, 2013 | 10:29 am

Wow! that is a doozy! We love our children’s hospital as well! It’s amazing the difference it makes when children is all they work on/with. Love that he thought stitches might have made him cry, what a sweetie!
    Praising God for his protection in your house this weekend…

3. Elizabeth Sacks
    October 14, 2013 | 10:37 am

Oh my! Praise God he is ok! Funny how one word is enough to scare them, even more than the experience itself.
    SO glad this story had a happy ending!

4. Vickie
    October 14, 2013 | 10:37 am

That’s one wicked looking cut on his head.
    My oldest son is now 34. When he was still in grade school…..twice I got called in for a head wound. The first one, he got stitches at the ER. The next one, he didn’t want a bald spot on the top of his head to shave him for stitches. I told him that when I pull on his hair his scalp actually lifted a little. He said he didn’t care. It wasn’t bleeding any more and he’d be careful combing his hair. So I went with his request. He has a scar on his forehead but not on his head. By the time he was in high school, he went from being a “preppy” to a cowboy riding bulls in the high school rodeo. Now, he’s in the Army flying Black Hawks in special forces. He’s one tough cookie! So thankful the Lord made him tough like that. Being our oldest, he was my guinea pig and he made me a tougher more secure mom in the process.

5. Shelly
    October 14, 2013 | 11:52 am

So thankful he’s okay! The picture reminds me of when my daughter was 4 and was bitten by a dog. Her head wound was very similar to your son’s. It made me feel faint to look at it. The doctor said he could see her skull. (I didn’t look that closely!) She ended up with 10 stitches on the outside and 4 on the inside. Thanks be to God for the resilience he gives to children!

6. Diana
    October 14, 2013 | 11:58 am

I have two granddaughter’s born 14 months apart that are “almost” twins. They each fell, hit the top of their heads and had to have staples to stop the bleeding. Double ouch twice! So they are still “almost” twins.
    Glad he is doing well. You have a fun (might have cried) story to tell about him.

7. Rachael
    October 14, 2013 | 12:14 pm

WOW! That is quite a cut. string bandaids….I’m going to have to remember that one. I don’t know how many times I told our son not to climb on the side of the bathtub, stop goofing off or he’d slip and fall. He busted his chin open (3 stitches) simply climbing out of the tub doing nothing wrong lol figures.

8. Katiemom12 (opps time ot change my name) ktmom13
    October 14, 2013 | 12:19 pm

Wow, Kim that was a big wound. We have had our ER visits too, and I can easily say that was bigger than any my kids ever had.

9. Carla
    October 14, 2013 | 12:22 pm

You allowed a child to get stitches with no pain killer? That is wrong. The hospital was wrong. There were other options.

Every time the cut was uncovered it was spurting blood with each heart beat and I don’t mean that blood was trickling down her face, I mean it was spurting several inches from her head with each pulse. (Sorry to be graphic.)

She had already lost a good bit of blood, was feeling faint and we (at least I was) were concerned about her losing consciousness. Several doctors and nurses were gathered around and working quickly to try to staunch the flow. I didn’t think that was the time to question about whether or not she should have pain killer, I was just worried about the blood loss.

Perhaps there were other options, but I certainly wasn’t the one to question it when the medical personnel were evidently concerned about how much blood she was losing.

I’d be one of the first people to encourage parents to be an active advocate for their children, but I also believe that it is wise to sometimes stand back and allow the medical personnel work without interfering. In my opinion, this was one of those occasions.

10. Sandy
    October 14, 2013 | 12:28 pm

I was slightly upset that you did not call your personal nurse, but after looking at the picture,no question that it needed string bandaids!!! That must have been a large amount of blood! What a brave patient!!!

11. Janet Kiessling
    October 14, 2013 | 1:50 pm

Wow, all of these stories & owies! Isn’t God Great for taking care of our babies!..:)
    I can remember the time when our son was 2. Fell off of a toy little Tykes car(loved to climb). Turned my back for a second. He slpit open his lip. The scream of all screams came out! Of course, it is 5 pm on a Friday. Tried our Urgent Care. They said he was too young – take him to Childrens ER. UGH! Well, he is not life threatening so we are seen @ 10pm…:(. Now, mind you For the next part I WILL NEVER TAKE MY CHILDREN TO ER AGAIN UNLESS THEY ARE DYING! And it is by the Grace of God that this child does not remember anything But mommy crying…PTL! They strapped him to a board & sticthed his lip closed…..7 stitches! NOTHING TO NUMB him at all! The nurese told me if this was too hard to watch – I had to leave……! At the last stitch,I picked my baby & I left & told them they were monsters! My cousin worked in radiology at the time & he was going to report them! It was awful! I thought the they knew more than I did…..the drs did not! GOD knew better!
    Our son is now 11 – he still will not get stitches…:( Sure can’t blame him!
    He has had o couple of sets of times when he has needed them But thankfully thats what “butterfly” bandaids are great for!
    Have a blessed week everybody! Janet

12. Mary
    October 14, 2013 | 2:10 pm

The first thing I did when I saw the pic was a big *Gasp* and the words Dear God. So glad your child is okay. That looks really bad. Blessings!

13. Philippa
    October 14, 2013 | 4:55 pm

Aw brave little Nick. He reminds me of my own sweet boy – at age 3 going through a similar experience with a cut to the back of his head (gained after one of those “let’s spin until we’re so dizzy we can’t stand up straight” games). He told me afterwards, “Mommy I was crying but my tears were red”.

14. Kyndra
    October 14, 2013 | 5:08 pm

Reminds me of the time last winter when our three year old fell out of bed in the middle of the night and cut his head on the Fisher Price garage that was sticking out from under the bed by about an inch! Bled like anything but didn’t need stitches which was a good thing because all he wanted was to go back to sleep!

15. Lisa
    October 14, 2013 | 7:16 pm

Those little bedside tables can be deadly! My son has a scar on the back of his head where no hair grows from many years ago. My eldest son has a scar on his eyebrow from the same bedside table (on Thanksgiving morning, no less). Needless to say, they no longer had a bedside table after the second incident. Glad your little one is OK.

16. Annie
    October 14, 2013 | 9:31 pm

Yikes! My daughter has to have stitches in her cheek want the age of four and she was such a trooper! The ER doc called them “kitty whiskers” so that she would not freak out when she saw them in the mirror.

17. michelle b.
    October 14, 2013 | 11:08 pm

I am a mom of 10 and 8 of those are boys. My 2nd boy has had many times of stitches or the wonderful glue. Thankfully most of his have gotten glue. #4 son had to have stitches in his forehead (they said it was super deep could just about see his skull)and #5 son had stitches in his tongue and a set in his forehead (different times) the one on his forehead wouldn’t stop bleeding either. They put a pressure bandage on it and it still wouldn’t stop. They put a shot of something in there to stop the bleeding. It helped some. And out of all of our wounds I have to say that is the worst I have seen on a child. Glad he is doing better.

18. Valerie
    October 15, 2013 | 1:51 pm

Oh my. I gasped looking at the picture. Thanking God that your little one is ok and that he was able to be so tough. :)

I think I’ll go double check and make sure all of the tables are far away from my children’s beds now.

19. Annie
    October 15, 2013 | 6:29 pm

That was quite a picture. My oh my!!!
    Thankful he’s ok! Hope he’s still doing well.
    Annie

20. Tara
    October 15, 2013 | 10:16 pm

What a picture, Kimberly! Miss you guys!

21. Natalie
    October 16, 2013 | 3:44 pm

We had a run to the ER a few weeks back. My 11 year old son was running barefoot on our manual treadmill BACKWARDS so he could have the dog running with him on it! I’m very bad about blood (I wish I hadn’t peeked at your photo—still feel faint when I think of it!!), so I wrapped it up in paper towels and put ice packs all around it after my husband had washed it in the tub….there was so much blood he couldn’t tell if the toe was hanging or what….well, within the 15 minute drive to the hospital the bleeding had stopped!! The doctor said I had done the best thing by packing ice around it. Apparently ice will stop bleeding and close the wound…. Hope this tip helps another mom out there ;) And, by the way, his toe was intact…..it had split on top, and they were worried about stitching, so he ended up with glue and tape and couldn’t wash it for a week.

22. MomStarr
    October 16, 2013 | 5:41 pm

The picture of that head wound is….well gross!! We had to take our Benjamin to get 4 stitches and he also did so good. He did wince a bit with the needle to numb step but he was so brave! We were so proud of him. Thank the Lord for a church full of Drs. a couple of whom are ER. We got very fast service even a call ahead to let them know we were coming. The only kicker was Jim was in Central America at the time! UGH!!! It happened at church and our wonderful church family stepped right in to help. So glad that your little trooper is ok. amazing how a table can cause so much trouble!!!!

23. Lora
    October 17, 2013 | 5:25 pm

Ugh, what a horrifying wound. Praise God that Nick received such excellent care.

24. Molly Warren
    October 19, 2013 | 9:14 am

It was a pleasure taking care of him and meeting you two. I told my husband when I got home that morning that I’d met some kindred spirits at work. :) Hope he heals quickly and you guys have an uneventful week! Thanks for being a Light!!! :)

Thank you, Molly! You were just what I needed that night. I love when God blesses us with special providences like having an amazing doctor in the ER to stitch up Nick’s head.

You probably will believe it because you know 5 year old boys, but on Thursday we had the kids at the playground and I lifted some of the restrictions on Nick (I said he could climb and play as long as he was ‘careful’). Less than 10 minutes later he was lying on the ground crying and holding his head. He was running and didn’t duck low enough for his head to clear the top of a little tunnel and he ended up with a big goose egg right on top of his stitches. I think that hurt him more than the first time. No stitches popped and aside from some more bleeding and swelling, he’s no worse for the wear.

Thanks again!

Molly Warren Reply:

HAHAHAAAA!!!! :) Oh those crazy boys, I am not surprised AT ALL! It’s a miracle any Y chromosomes make it to adulthood. :)

25. Suzanne
    October 25, 2013 | 7:12 pm

Woah!!
    I clicked on the picture thinking, “I don’t have a weak stomach.” And shouted, “Woah!” and covered it up from my curious kids.

We just had to super-glue back together 2 head-wounds at a family campout. One of my sons(11) was chopping a log and the axe bounced back and hit him in the face. (Third scar on the same eyebrow) and his cousin fell from 6ft up, off a downed tree and landed on a rock causing a large wound to the back of the head.

Thankfully we have a nurse and a former Army medic in the family, and we carry super glue for smaller wounds that would require only a few stitches. (The ER doctor said it’s what he would use.) But obviously your little guy needed serious attention!
    How sweet that just the wording of the string band-aids made a comforting difference for him. And praise the Lord for close, compassionate medical care.

Praying he recovers well!

26. Deirdre
    November 2, 2013 | 11:39 pm

I know which hospital you are referring to and we “love” it too. We were just there on Friday (only to get a bunch of labs done) and it occurred to me how much my kids LIKE going there because there are so many people circling around looking to give the kids presents and do fun things with them. Even just waiting for the labs they got necklace making kits. LOL

27. Jeri
    March 2, 2014 | 1:19 am

Wow! That was a much more serious cut than I imagined it would be. Hope it all healed well and quickly.