Not Me: Mohawks and Socks

“Not Me” Post – A post where I make you feel like you have it all together by bravely confessing some of our family’s faults, failings, or quirks by denying them.

Last week, when cutting Valor’s (1) hair, I did not forget which side it is supposed to part and so give him a haircut that is better suited to a mohawk than to any other hairstyle.

Valor (1) with his mohawk

Valor (1) with his mohawk

Of course he never has an attitude to go with it.

Valor Mohawk

No way, not him.

When the seasons changed here in Knoxville I promptly switched out the children’s seasonal clothes. I did not forget to switch Savannah’s (9) clothing and so, obviously, she does not come out day after day wearing winter sweaters with summer shorts.

Savannah (9) and Sadie (10)

Savannah (9) and Sadie (10)

Savannah (9) and Sadie (10)

Savannah (9) and Sadie (10)

We did not dedicate an entire section of our yard for Colby (7)  to ‘make things’. He has not filled that section  with scrap lumber, saws, hammers, nails, etc.  and used those supplies to make a ‘house’,

Colby's house build

a table and chairs.

Colby's table and chairs

Colby’s table and chairs

That part of our yard does not resemble a junk yard.

Colby's (7) work shop

Colby’s (7) work shop

Bella (3) has not taken to carrying a big plastic, ride-on horse around the house with her doll, and of course we did not  find her snuggling with it during her nap time….in Amber’s (17) bed.

Bella (3) snuggling with her horse

Bella (3) snuggling with her horse

Remember when Colby slept with a hamburger? Please tell me your children sleep with weird things too, or perhaps that they do not.

This is not what Bella looked like during church yesterday. When I asked her why she didn’t wear her Sunday sandals she did not answer, “Betause I like my tennis-sues better.”

Bella (3) dressed for church

Bella (3) dressed for church

No way, not my child. I always check to make sure our children are suitably dressed for Sunday worship, always.

What did your children not do this week?

You may also be interested in:

Share on Facebook2Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

22 Responses to Not Me: Mohawks and Socks
  1. Tracie H
    May 12, 2014 | 9:44 am

Love this!! You are so blessed.

2. Suzann Smith
    May 12, 2014 | 10:25 am

My 8 year old did not show up to church with no shoes what so ever. We did not have to borrow shoes two sizes too big to go out to lunch with friends. :-)

3. Anita
    May 12, 2014 | 10:26 am

My 30 year old daughter had that horse when she was a year old!! We did go to a wedding the other day and when we all piled out of the vehicle, I noticed my 5 year old didn’t have on his dress shoes with his nice khakis and dressier shirt. No, he had on his athletic sandals with argyle socks. At least the orange trim on the sandals matched the orange stripes in his shirt!

4. Lois J.
    May 12, 2014 | 10:31 am

This was a refreshing read! Maybe because it felt familiar!? ;-) You are very welcome to do a similar post every week!! :-)

5. Amber Robinson
    May 12, 2014 | 11:26 am

Too funny about Bella sleeping with her horse. When Jasper was about 4 we bought him some new sneakers. Because he liked them so much he wanted to wear them to bed so he did. We got a good laugh out of it. He did have slightly sore feet the next day.

6. JC
    May 12, 2014 | 12:40 pm

The mohawk is just way too cute!! My girls still wear out of season clothes even when I do tell them (teens now) to switch them out just because they want to. My youngest refused PJ’s for over a year around Bella’s age because they did not have pockets and he would cry out in his sleep about his lost keys (He had a key fettish for quite awhile too). Now(7) he doesn’t want to get dressed and wears PJ’s all day if he’s not leaving the house and then prefers to wear jeans and green rubber boots all year around so he is now known for his green boots everywhere people know him. They all have their little quirks and each is different which is what makes it both hard at times and fun most of the time.

7. Serenity
    May 12, 2014 | 2:59 pm

I loved this!!!! Not only was it hysterical but it made me smile to see you writing “not me” posts again:). I can relate to all of the above. My three year old son has been wearing “short clothes” for three months… We live in Michigan. It was below 0 for months this winter! He just loves shorts and insisted that he was warm:). My 10 year old daughter is very creative and has her own “workshop” in our yard:). Awesome!

8. Bambi @ In the Nursery of the Nation
    May 12, 2014 | 3:55 pm

Haha! My children did NOT accidentally leave the upright deep freezer door cracked, and thaw out hundreds of dollars in meat last week! (Can laugh about it…now…sorta).

Mona Reply:

Oh my! My youngest who was maybe 4 at the time, found the on/off switch on our deep freeze…turned it off. I didn’t discover it until I opened it over a week later (he did it before we went out of town for a few days)! Whewee!!! :(

9. Suzanne Jones
    May 12, 2014 | 5:14 pm

Oh Bambi! That is going to be only SORT OF not funny for about a year! Or about the amount of time that meat would have lasted!
    Our freezer’s power cord got tripped over and started thawing for over a day, but everything was still edible once we re-froze it, it was however NOT edible when the lightning storm fried the circuit to it and we didn’t find out for a week!! At least I can’t blame anyone for it that time!

10. Suzanne Jones
    May 12, 2014 | 5:21 pm

Kim,
    THANK YOU for sharing your real life! I love your daughters sweetness to each other, and the awesome workshop you have allowed your kids in the yard! But my life with 6 kids looks a LOT like the picture of your daughter’s Sunday shoe choice! We started attending a new church where we don’t know many people yet, so at least I can pretend they don’t notice.

11. Mona
    May 12, 2014 | 5:57 pm

My 5 y/o son does not regularly attend church in mismatched socks, my almost 8 y/o ds does not wear the same outfit every week because I told him it was a church outfit.

12. Rachel M
    May 12, 2014 | 7:42 pm

I did not assume that my 2 year old was still holding on to the cart today while checking out and then find him ON a store display shelf! In his defense, graduating to just hanging on to the cart/stroller is a new thing and I think he didn’t realize he was supposed to keep holding on once the cart was no longer moving.

13. Rachel
    May 12, 2014 | 8:20 pm

Love Bella’s mismatched socks and shoes on the wrong feet too. Oh, and the Mohawk should stay even at the next hair cut – it’s really cute!

14. Donna M Asam
    May 13, 2014 | 4:24 am

Thank you for sharing the photos. Although my two girls are now grown and one has two bows of her own. They bring back so many memories. My oldiest would never leave without her cowboy boots and red hat – even to church. and the youngest now has a son that sports a Mohawk.

15. Cindy
    May 13, 2014 | 8:35 am

I missed these. :-)

16. LargefamilySmallworld
    May 13, 2014 | 11:21 am

I’ve been missing these! Thank you so much for posting these. They make me feel better about the (similar, or worse) things that happen around here.
    Oh, and…I did NOT find a bag of quail and other critters in my freezer this week when cleaning it out. My son would never leave little gifts like that for me to find. ;)

17. Sarah
    May 13, 2014 | 2:35 pm

It wasn’t my five year old son who went to church wearing nail varnish. It wasn’t my house where there was no nail varnish remover.

18. Lisa Reynoso
    May 13, 2014 | 10:27 pm

My 22-month-old likes to sleep with a “baby”. It’s a life-sized 3-month-old fetus, and he carries it around and especially loves to clutch it while sleeping. We call it “his” baby. If we can’t find it, he’ll settle for one of his sister’s doll or a stuffed animal, but the baby is his favorite!

19. Erin
    May 20, 2014 | 10:56 pm

This is just what I needed tonight! My three year old did not draw stripes on his arms and legs to be a tiger and he certainly did not give himself tiger paws with the same black marker leaving paw prints all over the wood floor.

20. Deirdre
    May 21, 2014 | 8:53 pm

My Susanna (3) just looked at Bella’s feet picture and said, “Mommy, Mommy, I wan dose sah-ks.” Guess Bella has admirable style. LOL

21. Sarah
    July 14, 2014 | 11:59 am

I love this post, your children are lovely. Just right now discovered your blog! I have always loved loved loved the name Valor too :-) just thought I would mention that, I don’t see it used often so I love that its your baby’s name :-) my 3 year old yesterday fell asleep in our bed with a wooden pull alligator which I thought seemed dangerous so I removed it but allowed my child to sleep there while I got the baby ready for bed. I went back in to ‘where’s my gator?’ ‘ I put it on the floor I didn’t want you to hit your head in it or tangle up in the string’ ‘ no he wouldn’t do that… He’s hungry I need to go get him some tomatoes, tiny ones…’ Anyway we got up and fed the gator toy food and baked and ate cookies before we went back to bed since my husband had worked late and we hadn’t seen him yet that day ;) every moment is such a blessing!